1:32nd F6U Pirate

Dandiego

I have stuck down windshields made from the plastic sheet used to bind documents. I used The Krystal Klear for that 

You are not trying to weld the plastic by melting it, just providing something to hold it in place. That's why the PVA route is good - it doesn't do anything to either surface

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

So small progress. I have had airbrush issues and was waiting for parts.

Anyway...............

I have finished the main canopy. It is not as clean as I would have liked but it will have to do.

tqpzUac.jpg

Flaps have been installed.

RZxeV1c.jpg

And the forward wheel well doors are on. I snapped off the nose gear, it is back on but needs some more work.

61elgJJ.jpg

All in all a decent effort but not as good as I had hoped. Still.... it will be the only Pirate on any table I put it on.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

3 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Did you find pop bottles need a lot of heat to get them to deform? I melted the sample I tried before it would work properly

Richard

I found that the soda bottle plastic would start to shrink after only a few seconds. This method is different than vacforming. In vacforming you get the plastic hot and it sags and then you form it over your mold.

Using soda bottles is different. You jam the mold into the bottle and apply heat. The plastic reacts to the heat and shrinks. Only after it has shrunk will it begin to melt, actually it seems to crystallize and turn white. 

It took several tries to get it right.  You need to see how the plastic reacts/shrinks to get a decent result.

PS. This is my 1000th post. Only took 7 years.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Small progress.

I have been adding small details and getting a flat finish on the model. In an attempt to add some visual interest I have taped over some panel lines and then sprayed the clear flat. Hopefully when I remove the tape strips there will be some panel line "augmentation". I am not sure if this will work, but if it looks too strange I can just apply another flat coat.

ZBVChxy.jpg

lO5FlhJ.jpg

Later....

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys the Pirate is finished.

All in all a fun project, but the finished product did not turn out as nice as I would have liked.

Whats wrong?? Well the biggest issue is the clear parts. They just didn't turn out very well. Also over the course of the build the vertical tail warped a little, and it was impossible to fix. Add into that all of the small errors in the build and a less than spectacular paint job and well there you have it. Ok, unique, but not great.

Anyway here are the photos.

Zbnd8mu.jpg

fLrF0IX.jpg

ccNa78K.jpg

aVJbSH3.jpg

9dVOWmo.jpg

H0BTfno.jpg

qiSGgmU.jpg

IpQyz0K.jpg

Thanks for following along, Dan