1:32nd F6U Pirate

Dandiego

5 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

I think it looks great Dan.  Again, you've got a one-of-a-king project on your shelf.

Matt 

Thanks Matt. 

However I have been building models for over 50 years and you would think that I would have learned how to use my airbrush better. I always seem to have problems laying down consistent smooth paints and gloss overcoats. 

I should have a painting stand-down and start from scratch. I do think that I should go slower and have more patience. My skills are ok, but I want to be so much better.

Maybe I should switch to acrylics??

Dan  

17 minutes ago, Dandiego said:

Thanks Matt. 

However I have been building models for over 50 years and you would think that I would have learned how to use my airbrush better. I always seem to have problems laying down consistent smooth paints and gloss overcoats. 

I should have a painting stand-down and start from scratch. I do think that I should go slower and have more patience. My skills are ok, but I want to be so much better.

Maybe I should switch to acrylics??

Dan  

What you have achieved so far is fantastic Dan. I am in exactly the same boat as you as far as finishing skills are concerned - my construction abilities have reached a peak and my finishing ones have declined.

Derek

1 hour ago, Dandiego said:

The farther I get into a project the more the small errors and poor paint skills combine to bum me out. Yeah it looks ok but I just can't seem to bring it all together and produce the quality completed project that I am shooting for. Maybe next time. 

Dan

This is familiar to me from my scratchbuilds. Eventually I have to just get the damn thing done before it gets binned. It takes me years to come back to a model and start to enjoy what I have built. I think it takes that long to forget the errors and problems which dominate my thoughts while building 

If it helps, I think your model is a fantastic piece of work and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished

Richard

Thanks for all of the replies gentlemen.

I sometimes get a little frustrated when it is not as good as I had hoped.

I am always striving for the perfect build. So far, not even close. But I am still having fun and, I hope, getting a little better along the way.

Dan

Some progress.

I have been trying to heat shrink a plastic soda bottle over the canopy blank. This has proved elusive until today. After 6 tries I finally got one that is acceptable. I have sanded it to get the smoothest appearance and dipped it in Future.

Ydjt5gd.jpg

ljv8opK.jpg

CqdXkNL.jpg

I will need to find out whay kind of glue will work to attach the canopy to the frame.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

I am just about to give making canopies from pop bottles a go, I'll let you know how I get on

I have had success using Micro Kristal Klear to stick clear plastics:

krysalkleer.jpg

It's almost certainly just another version of PVA, the cheap white glue used by builders, kindergartens and so on

Richard

Very nice work Dan. Creating a one of a kind model where there used to be empty workbench is its own talent. There are always going to be some guys that make it look easier/better/ cleaner but you are doing nice work. I see your planes getting better build by build.

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

For gluing canopy glass, there is several alternatives: White Elmer's glue, Future, Kristal Klear as above, ultra-violet activated clear glue.

You are doing amazing work, Dan! That canopy really looks the biz. 

Thanks Ray.

My real question here is what kind of plastic am I dealing with here. Soda bottles are made of what??? It is very smooth and I question what will actually work. Lots of glueing trials to come.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego