1:32nd F6U Pirate

Dandiego

Ok, I am working on some preshading on the wings and tail. I have first filled in the center of the panels with a random application of Radome Tan.

6v3QIV5.jpg

F8QcgrL.jpg

And then I have sprayed the panel lines with a light grey.

WmQezBk.jpg

bU5xt9o.jpg

Both of these applications are rather light in nature realizing that I will be overcoating these areas with yellow. I will be aiming for an overall faded appearance since this plane has been sitting under the China Lake sun. I know how brutal the sun can be out there.

Dan

14 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

this makes me want to toss my stash of mass produced stuff into a river....

Citadelgrad, I have about 15 mass produced kits and I find myself ignoring them and turning towards vac's or building something off the wall.

However there is always something in these builds that stops me cold, and it's always the same thing.........canopies.  Vacforming canopies is some that I have yet to master. I would be done by now if I had finished canopies to install.

Also thanks for your kind words. 

Dan

Major paint work.

First I applied the Engine Grey but it seemed much too dark. You can see it here on the fuselage. I have also added panel line shading with flat black.

E8rfijy.jpg

So I lightened it with some white and applied it over the black shaded fuselage in very thin coats.

fMjNHTg.jpg

Next I lightened the custom grey again and added it to the fuselage trying for a faded paint look.

umoU4Yo.jpg

I have yet to paint the forward fuselage because I don't have the windscreen done yet.

EIcc2Zb.jpg

Underside.

1ylCbL6.jpg

Dan

Ok. Some work on the windscreen. After about 8 attempts to form a windscreen by heat shrinking a plastic soda bottle I got one that actually was pretty good. So it has been cut to size and epoxied into place. Next is an application, or 2, of Bondo. Much sanding in my future. I have also added a rear deck to the cockpit. It will be sanded to size.

NwON1K3.jpg

Here is the completed fuel bay on top of the fuselage.

4Unf6em.jpg

Dan

Major paint and markings are complete. Still lots to do.

OP7ACDZ.jpg

Ba5EGBU.jpg

VXFbOdU.jpg

The farther I get into a project the more the small errors and poor paint skills combine to bum me out. Yeah it looks ok but I just can't seem to bring it all together and produce the quality completed project that I am shooting for. Maybe next time. 

Dan