1:32nd F6U Pirate

Dandiego

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Not quite. Having spent ten years in CAD, particularly surface design, you need a decent machine, a very very capable CAD system and around 15 years experience of understanding surface shapes

You are quickly knocking up shapes with plastic profiles, Bondo and sanding that takes years of experience to make in a decent CAD system. It's why I'm loving this thread, your 3D printer is almost incidental to your real skills

Richard

Richard, thank you for your comments and insight into 3d printing. I am a complete rookie at this and am basically fumbling around.

I would say that they 3d printer has really helped in at least one respect. The central fuselage plug which I printed is a key element of this project. By printing the plug I was able to get a consistent and perfectly straight section upon which I could build off of. Getting things straight and true is quite difficult when scratch building.

I would have printed the entire fuselage if I could have figured out how to design the tapering, compound curves of the front and rear fuselage. Alas I am stuck with the old fashioned way of doing things.

Dan

7 hours ago, Dandiego said:

if I could have figured out how to design the tapering, compound curves of the front and rear fuselage

Yep - those are the bits that need the years of experience and a capable CAD system. Or a few minutes with Bondo and sanding

I'm enjoying this thread very much Dan

Richard

Hey everyone.

First off some additional shaping to the front of the tip tanks. Since I am no guru with 3d printing I printed out front and back components that were exactly the same. However The front of the tanks should be blunter and fatter. So I cut off the front of the tank and applied some Bondo. Here you can see the result. I will be adding a clear light fixture to the front.

xAtdKMC.jpg

Chromate green for the cockpit floor.

OvRDkxe.jpg

Assorted bits from the resin cockpit. Console stuff and 2 side walls.

dA19Z0p.jpg

And a clear light for the aft aft end of the bullet. It will look better when it is polished.

3kSwASj.jpg

Dan

On 4/23/2020 at 7:40 PM, Dandiego said:

Richard, thank you for your comments and insight into 3d printing. I am a complete rookie at this and am basically fumbling around.

I would say that they 3d printer has really helped in at least one respect. The central fuselage plug which I printed is a key element of this project. By printing the plug I was able to get a consistent and perfectly straight section upon which I could build off of. Getting things straight and true is quite difficult when scratch building.

I would have printed the entire fuselage if I could have figured out how to design the tapering, compound curves of the front and rear fuselage. Alas I am stuck with the old fashioned way of doing things.

Dan

I have a friend who does CAD, he told me the hardest thing to design in CAD is a teapot. I don't know why that would be, but he sounded like he wasn't kidding.

1 hour ago, shark64 said:

I really enjoy watching this comes together. Good work going on here.

Thanks Mr Shark. Seems to be my niche, decent looking, one of a kind models. I envy your skill set. But I don't have the skills or the patience. However I really enjoy tackling "fringe" subjects. Solving basic construction and shape issues gets my juices flowing.

Also I enjoy the research.  These fringe subjects take a little  detective work. Not a whole lot of books written about the Pirate. And with good reason, it was a dud. However it's smooth, simple lines make it a good subject to scratchbuild. 

Next up the canopy.  I will try to heat form a canopy from a soda bottle. Wish me luck.

Dan

OK my first try using a plastic soda bottle to heat shrink into a canopy.

Raw material, 2 liter soda bottle.

7IhaBgG.jpg

Canopy form jammed into the bottle and held tight against the bottle.

JrPXD4F.jpg

Heat , from a heat gun applied. Bottle has shrunk to form around the canopy blank.

MWDJ3Jv.jpg

Cut away from the bottle. The primer paint on the canopy blank has deposited on the inside of the canopy.

dnrNkJ6.jpg

Paint thinner was used to remove the primer from inside of the canopy. I can still see the ribs from the form on the new canopy. Also I have slightly deformed the canopy blank during the heat process. This is just a useful proof of concept first attempt. In order to get a better final result I believe that I will have to carve the blank out of wood.

O9Inx7C.jpg

Dan

Edited by Dandiego