Wingnut Wings - The End?

NGBZ

See now this thread has awakened the urge I always had to build an Albatros. Something about that shark like fuselage. I had one and funnily enough sold it to Dean, who’d have guessed? Now to buy another or not. It’s looking like now is not the time to dither either. 

56 minutes ago, tucohoward said:

If this was such a lucrative segment of the scale model world why hasn't it already been done?

I'm not claiming it's lucrative, I'm saying that a new company should be able to do better than WNW financially.

Enough to turn a profit?

Not so sure about that bit.

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I'm not aware of a single case in recent living memory where a model kit manufacturer went out of business where most or all of their molds were not purchased, leased, or otherwise put back to use by some company somewhere.  In the case of WnW, their tooling represents probably several million dollars worth of investment, and the subject matter has proven very popular, so I can't see them sitting idle for very long, especially if the company is put into receivership.  Those are very valuable assets.

Peter Jackson is the sole owner of Wingnut Wings and is worth some $600 million. He’s not going to miss a couple of million if he decides not to sell the tooling and IP. If the company does shut down it does not sound like it’s going to be in a bankruptcy situation where receivers get called in to liquidate the assets.

5 hours ago, DeanKB said:

not ignoring entire niches like French, Italian & Austro-Hungarian subjects,

The entire genre of 1/32 scale WWI aircraft kits is niche! That’s why there’s only company producing these kits in the first place (yes, I know about CSM but they’ve done exactly one 1/32 WWI aircraft kit with some subvariants). When was the last time Roden did a new 1/32 WWI aircraft? Or Revell? Who’s left?

I am going to lock this thread for now. Speculation is running rampant, we are arguing about who will be picking though the bones, 12 pages worth! Let's wait till we hear more information before we go forward. Plenty of companies have had grim times. Usually what happens is they do a review of their methods, learn ways to trim the fat and look at different approaches. This is a little different with Peter Jackson, but it is still a business. So let's calm down for a bit.