Wingnut Wings - The End?

NGBZ

15 minutes ago, wunwinglow said:

Chinese whispers.

No, Chinese virus. 

The shut down and furlough process will happen but whether it will be started up again is very moot. The lock downs will have a crippling effect on any future subsidies (as well as being politically unpalatable) as Govts struggle with the future bills. 

Tony 

IF WNW should go away, I'd guess another model company would pick up the molds. They may not be allowed to leave China. Maybe we'll see trumpy pick them up? Maybe a Japanese company? I will wait. I still have a few to build.

However this pans out, it's quite obvious that WnW would appear to have been massively subsidized by the NZ taxpayer, and that if they return, things will be very different. Several threads wondered how they existed financially and whether PJ under wrote the operation, well now we seem to be more in the know. It would be disappointing if they do cease trading, as I fell they have made a significant contribution to 1/32 scale modelling. Looking at my still in construction Felixstowe, there are more pieces to one of the engines that in many of the first Airfix kits I made as a young modeller.

Let's see how this works out.

Steve.

27 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Is that recent? I can't sit through that man's rambling and spitting on his models when he's rubbing in the slip on panel lines.

The 1/24 Mosquitos were certainly produced in India and possibly the later 1/24 releases (Typhoon etc)

2 minutes ago, Tony T said:

No, Chinese virus. 

The shut down and furlough process will happen but whether it will be started up again is very moot. The lock downs will have a crippling effect on any future subsidies (as well as being politically unpalatable) as Govts struggle with the future bills. 

Tony 

No doubt, but I wasn't referring to the virus, but to the way some very clear, and limited words from someone in the know, clearly dealing with a dreadful situation  ends up getting ramped up into a frantic discussion over who is going to be pecking over the bones.... The company hasn't stopped trading, yet. No doubt the management, and their government, their investors, their bank,  are in deep deep discussions. Who know how it will turn out? Certainly not us!!!  And this is the situation in hundreds of thousands of business' all over the world. 

That is all I saying...

16 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

IF WNW should go away, I'd guess another model company would pick up the molds. They may not be allowed to leave China. Maybe we'll see trumpy pick them up? Maybe a Japanese company? I will wait. I still have a few to build.

Why wouldn’t the moulds be allowed to leave China? 
Airfix has all its moulds made in China then shipped to India for actual production of kits.

7 minutes ago, wunwinglow said:

No doubt, but I wasn't referring to the virus, but to the way some very clear, and limited words from someone in the know, clearly dealing with a dreadful situation  ends up getting ramped up into a frantic discussion over who is going to be pecking over the bones.... The company hasn't stopped trading, yet. No doubt the management, and their government, their investors, their bank,  are in deep deep discussions. Who know how it will turn out? Certainly not us!!!  And this is the situation in hundreds of thousands of business' all over the world. 

That is all I saying...

Agree Tim. Not sure how much time the Govt has for those discussions, and the subsidy revelations weren't started by a bat or pangolin. 

As stated pages ago, I'm fairly certain the kits will continue to be produced if the tooling's sold to a firm which can knock them out cheaply — though I had heard that Sir PJ would never part with the moulds and would have them on display in his study, if necessary. 

There are going to be a lot of firms going under this year. That's not rumour. 

Tony 

1 minute ago, Tony T said:

Sir PJ would never part with the moulds and would have them on display in his study, if necessary. 

Have you ever seen any LSP IP moulds? :) You need a forklift to move one and there may be a few moulds per kit. All the WNW moulds need a warehouse. ;)

The moulds, artwork and existing stock are assets that can be sold. 

Radu 

5 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Agree Tim. Not sure how much time the Govt has for those discussions, and the subsidy revelations weren't started by a bat or pangolin. 

As stated pages ago, I'm fairly certain the kits will continue to be produced if the tooling's sold to a firm which can knock them out cheaply — though I had heard that Sir PJ would never part with the moulds and would have them on display in his study, if necessary. 

There are going to be a lot of firms going under this year. That's not rumour. 

Tony 

The moulds for the Lancaster will make for very expensive paperweights that’s for sure

3 minutes ago, Radub said:

Have you ever seen any LSP IP moulds? :) You need a forklift to move one and there may be a few moulds per kit. All the WNW moulds need a warehouse. ;)

The moulds, artwork and existing stock are assets that can be sold. 

Radu 

I think the point being made is that if WnW is essentially a Peter Jackson vanity project then he may not want to see the moulds being reused by another company. The only way he would be forced to sell them is if WnW went out of business in a bankruptcy. Then the receiver would sell off assets to pay the company’s creditors. If WnW is going to be wound up it seems to be a result of a choice on the part of its sole investor.

45 minutes ago, Bradleygolding said:

However this pans out, it's quite obvious that WnW would appear to have been massively subsidized by the NZ taxpayer, and that if they return, things will be very different. Several threads wondered how they existed financially and whether PJ under wrote the operation, well now we seem to be more in the know. It would be disappointing if they do cease trading, as I fell they have made a significant contribution to 1/32 scale modelling. Looking at my still in construction Felixstowe, there are more pieces to one of the engines that in many of the first Airfix kits I made as a young modeller.

Let's see how this works out.

Steve.

It’s not clear to me that any of the NZ subsidy went to WNW.  Almost all went to Weta Workshop and Digital for film services.  I haven’t seen anything that indicates that any of the money was siphoned off for WNW or other PJ pet projects.

15 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I think the point being made is that if WnW is essentially a Peter Jackson vanity project then he may not want to see the moulds being reused by another company. The only way he would be forced to sell them is if WnW went out of business in a bankruptcy. Then the receiver would sell off assets to pay the company’s creditors. If WnW is going to be wound up it seems to be a result of a choice on the part of its sole investor.

Exactly.

And if he's so minded he can build a barn-sized castle folly from the tooling as a new conference centre. 

Tony