Hobby Boss A-26 engines

Padubon

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Have any of the fire bombers or warbirds been reengined?  I’m wondering if they used detail pictures of a converted A-26 as a reference.

There is a 200-400 hp difference in power output per engine and nearly 400lbs difference in weight between the 18 cylinder PW R-2800 Double Wasp and the 14 cylinder Wright R-2600 Twin Cyclone, with the PW being heavier and more powerful. Maybe there’s a non-flying museum example where they put in R-2600s because they didn’t have suitable R-2800s lying around and HobbyBoss copied that? I think it’s more likely that whatever drawing they were using as a reference just had the wrong number of cylinders depicted. There are enough other shape discrepancies to make this plausible.

I think they used a PW-1830 which is what is used on the DC-3, B-24, Catalina etc and to be perfectly honest, in my view completely unacceptable that they made this kind of mistake.  A two minute google search would have avoided that.

FYI, the Trump R-2800 is kind of a joke too. They made it far too long,  there is nearly one scale foot spacing between the front and rear cylinder banks.  It's just looks really bad but at least it has the right number of pots when looking at it from the front.

Bottom line- close enough for them to release it. Wrong profiles, geometry, engines, cowls, no matter. Chabudou, close enough. So, suck it up or pony up for the extras. 

I am past the point of buying this. So much incorrect and so little concern for that. I'll vote with my wallet this time lads.

Your mileage may vary...

LSP Lovers of then and now...

The written word and I are not friends as... WE.. Just can't do real time in our talks pertaining to this... But..

As a Modeller first.. as dated as I am.

This is a model kit first and to correct what's needed is up to "the Modeller".

Yes, I wish it was a 100% model kit at 1/32.Yes, the day and age say's it should be so... But....

When/if this kit of an A-26/B-26, would of popped up in 1/32nd scale in IM plastic back in the mid/late 80s, or 90s, have came about we would model on by cross kitting/ scratch building what is needed as Modellers.

In this day and age we have the benefit of mix/ matching available bits to do this.

I remember a time when to make an accurate Corsair/ P-47/P-51/P-38/B-25,etc in 1/32nd scale you had to go a bit more than what was in in the box.

Of course, we, nowadays expect more. 

But, it is, what it is. I don't know what they did.... But, if I wanted to do what needs to be done, well that's a personal battle.

Still a, somewhat starting point for an A-26/B-26 in 1/32nd scale.

Lol, and all that...

Back in my corner...

Alfonso

BTW- My avatar here is a a A-26/B-26 B/C of the Cuban F.A.R. As a Cuban, I have my own personal Love/Wants/Need for this kit... Do I wish it was in the high 90s %,YES.... If I want/need/get one will I go that far...Yessssss. 

Of course, I would actually have to have bench time... tangent over!!!

LoL

Edited by Kaeone57

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 2:37 AM, Kaeone57 said:

LSP Lovers of then and now...

The written word and I are not friends as... WE.. Just can't do real time in our talks pertaining to this... But..

As a Modeller first.. as dated as I am.

This is a model kit first and to correct what's needed is up to "the Modeller".

Yes, I wish it was a 100% model kit at 1/32.Yes, the day and age say's it should be so... But....

When/if this kit of an A-26/B-26, would of popped up in 1/32nd scale in IM plastic back in the mid/late 80s, or 90s, have came about we would model on by cross kitting/ scratch building what is needed as Modellers.

In this day and age we have the benefit of mix/ matching available bits to do this.

I remember a time when to make an accurate Corsair/ P-47/P-51/P-38/B-25,etc in 1/32nd scale you had to go a bit more than what was in in the box.

Of course, we, nowadays expect more. 

But, it is, what it is. I don't know what they did.... But, if I wanted to do what needs to be done, well that's a personal battle.

Still a, somewhat starting point for an A-26/B-26 in 1/32nd scale.

Lol, and all that...

Back in my corner...

Alfonso

BTW- My avatar here is a a A-26/B-26 B/C of the Cuban F.A.R. As a Cuban, I have my own personal Love/Wants/Need for this kit... Do I wish it was in the high 90s %,YES.... If I want/need/get one will I go that far...Yessssss. 

Of course, I would actually have to have bench time... tangent over!!!

LoL

There's another side to this discussion....Back in the 80s/90s, you could find kits at respectable prices.  Back then, I knew that when I spent some money on a kit, the price left room for errors to be present.  it simply was what it was, and that was that.

Today, one of the reasons why we expect more is because they expect us to pay more--a LOT more--for these kits.  In the other thread, someone posted a link to this brand new kit on ebay....for over $460.  Why on earth should any of us expect to pay that kind of money for a kit that then requires us to go out and spend more $$$ to correct such big errors?  There has to be an expectation of value, not just "hey, it's new and it's big so pony up".  

On 4/14/2020 at 6:18 PM, LSP_Ron said:

I think they used a PW-1830 which is what is used on the DC-3, B-24, Catalina etc and to be perfectly honest, in my view completely unacceptable that they made this kind of mistake.  A two minute google search would have avoided that.

Maybe their A-team iswas based in Wuhan.

17 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I find that hilariously farfetched.  I seriously doubt you could even mount an R2600 on the A-26's engine mounts without major mods even if you wanted to.  The 2600 is significantly smaller in diameter, and has completely different engine mounts.

Pretty sure it's just a case of the Trumpet Boss C team being on the project.  Typical of their research.

I absolutely agree with you. I was just trying to think of some explanation for Trumpeter’s mistake that was at least possible let alone plausible. I’m sure it eventually will come down to them copying some less than accurate drawings off the web where the artist didn’t feel like drawing all nine cylinders.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have the 1/32 Hobbyboss  A-26B and the P-61 where they could check the R2800's in the P-61 kit will fit in the A-26B cowls?  If they do, then maybe you can just order the extra P-61 engine sprue from HobbyBoss to get the engine corrected for the A-26?

Greg

6 hours ago, 32scalelover said:

Does anyone have the 1/32 Hobbyboss  A-26B and the P-61 where they could check the R2800's in the P-61 kit will fit in the A-26B cowls?  If they do, then maybe you can just order the extra P-61 engine sprue from HobbyBoss to get the engine corrected for the A-26?

Greg

I don’t know but it appears according to another post in a different thread that the new (and pretty good looking) Resin2detail R-2800 engines are not suitable for any mark of the A26/B26 family. 

2 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

I don’t know but it appears according to another post in a different thread that the new (and pretty good looking) Resin2detail R-2800 engines are not suitable for any mark of the A26/B26 family. 

I was not referring to the Resin2detail engines, but the kit engines that come in the HB 1/32 P-61.