Hasegawa 1/32 P-47D Thunderbolt.

Jeff T

3 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

I'm not familiar with this decal, but if it's printed on continuous clear film, you can put a coat of Microscale Liquid Decal Film on to give it extra thickness. Another trick is to cut the decal paper in a square then just slice through the excess clear around the image and leave a place where you can hold the decal with clamping tweezers. The reason to leave excess paper around the decal is to keep the decal from folding under itself.

Here's a picture that shows the way I do this slicing/clamping thing.

171665005.9bhyhhln.IMG_0128.jpg

Here's a short video on the application process that might help.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Woody!...great tips!

I have been blessed with using Cartograph Decals on most of my builds, so its a bit of shock using ones like these.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

• 3 months later...

Hey all,

Just an update on where this model is at the moment,..... all the trials and tribulations with this build wore me down and I put it away for a while and did some Armour and a Tamiya Bike for some relief from it.

I finally pulled it back out the other day after getting a new Montex Mask set for it with the included decals of the bull's head.I ripped off the decal that I had touched up with paint because I wasn't happy with it, and made another mask out of Tamiya Tape using the new decal as a template, and sprayed the white background for the decal like I did on the other side.

So now I had two airbrushed white backgrounds for the new decals,...attempt number two with them, absolute disaster, if you dont get these decals in the exact position they need to be straight away,  forget about trying to move them around, they ripped, folded over, did everything but slide into position, even after the white section was polished with 12,000 grit micromesh.:BANGHEAD2:

I'm weighing up what my next step will be.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff T

I feel your pain.   Ive had some setbacks on my own jug, more than i want to comfortably admit.  The biggest was the left side fuselage disaster that followed the application of the kill markings, compounded by a major screw up involving mr surfacer and thinner that destroyed the correction i was trying to make.  

i ended up repainting the left side from the intercooler doors to the front of the cockpit.   I would have preferred that this didnt happen, but it did and i think the repair worked out ok.   

This is a beautiful effort.  To me, there is no shelf of shame.   Regroup and press on.   Your solution will work.   

use the down time to regroup and then whip this into shape.  

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Sounds like things have been a bit of a pain with this build lately, Jeff. I wish you the best of luck with it, and be sure to keep us updated!

Kev

Will do Kev!...yeah, certainly been the most dramas I've ever had during a build, the lifting paint has been the biggest headache.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff T

1 hour ago, Citadelgrad said:

I feel your pain.   Ive had some setbacks on my own jug, more than i want to comfortably admit.  The biggest was the left side fuselage disaster that followed the application of the kill markings, compounded by a major screw up involving mr surfacer and thinner that destroyed the correction i was trying to make.  

i ended up repainting the left side from the intercooler doors to the front of the cockpit.   I would have preferred that this didnt happen, but it did and i think the repair worked out ok.   

This is a beautiful effort.  To me, there is no shelf of shame.   Regroup and press on.   Your solution will work.   

use the down time to regroup and then whip this into shape.  

Thanks Bill, yeah I've been watching the troubles you've been having with your build mate, and I was thinking, I wish I had Bill's perseverance at the moment with mine, difference being, you soldiered on, I had to have a break from mine!:lol:

Cheer's,

Jeff.

I had a similar method that was inspired because I couldn't nail the masks spot on when applying

them.  I'd mask off and paint areas of a clear decal sheet and paint each one with one of the colors

I needed.  Then cut the shapes with my Cameo and apply them as decals.  Like you said, they are

only microns thicker than paint.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/74817-revelamiyastang/&do=findComment&comment=1091438

17 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

I had a similar method that was inspired because I couldn't nail the masks spot on when applying

them.  I'd mask off and paint areas of a clear decal sheet and paint each one with one of the colors

I needed.  Then cut the shapes with my Cameo and apply them as decals.  Like you said, they are

only microns thicker than paint.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/74817-revelamiyastang/&do=findComment&comment=1091438

Cheer's for that Mike, superb looking Mustang!

Jeff.