Hasegawa 1/32 P-47D Thunderbolt.

Jeff T

Hey all,

Finally got all the major sections masked off and finished...had to do a few re-do's due to the metallic lifting, I dont know what contaminated the surface of the rear section of the fuselage, but whatever it was has given me a right trial in patience and perseverance to keep going on it.

I have used the masks and sprayed the code letters on, and was going to do the same for the Star and Bar Insignia, but since I have some decals for them, I am going to use them instead of chancing anymore dramas with paint lifting.

Anyway, here's how she looks at the moment, still have to do some touch ups to these area's, next step is decals.

xdMQLvT.jpg

TafD6Dt.jpg

MusvDAQ.jpg

8H7Np31.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheer's,

Jeff.

John, Bill, Matt and Troy, thanks  for looking in and commenting fellas!

I'm currently applying the Stencil markings using the HGW Wet Transfer set, and as has been reported on other builds here, they are brilliant!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I applied all the stencil data wet transfer's from HGW, and the star and bar insignia decals from Barracudacals.The stencil data from HGW are great, I did have some letters pull away on a couple of them, but thats ok, I'm sure some of the letters on the real planes wore off over time.

The Barracudacal decals went on fine, but they are very thin, so I had to be careful with them, but the two bull's head ones from the Montex mask set were a right headache, .....you have to first lay down the white section, then when thats dry, lay the bull's head over the top of it, but they are so thin and delicate, they tore super easy, I got one down, but with some damage, but the other one just ripped to pieces, though the two "Snortin Bull" ones, near the Cockpit, went on beautifully, the same process.

The one I did get on, I touched up with some Vallejo paint, but I'm not happy with it, so I ordered another set to replace it.What I will do this time is, instead of using the white underlay decal, I'm going to spray the white on with Tamiya Flat White, and put some gloss clear over it, then put the bull's head over that, so that eliminates going over the other decal which seemed to make it harder, .....hopefully just sliding it straight over the gloss coat, it might make it easier getting it all off and positioned a lot easier than going over the other decal.

Here are some pics of how it is at the moment, I probably wont do anymore to it until the new decals arrive.

This is the damage the one I got on suffered.

09Peuur.jpg

......And here it is after I touched it up, but I'm not happy with how rough it looks close up, thats why I ordered a new set.

vVytpvl.jpg

This is the other side where I have already sprayed the white on, using a mask I made from Tamiya Tape, I will do the same to the other side when the new decals turn up.

lXRDdP5.jpg

Cw2otAD.jpg

A couple showing how the rest looks, still have to touch up some areas around the decals and the code numbers.

74ryVCi.jpg

7Kugp2X.jpg

As always, thanks for looking,

Cheer's,

Jeff.

On 6/23/2021 at 9:44 AM, Jeff T said:

but the two bull's head ones from the Montex mask set were a right headache, .....you have to first lay down the white section, then when thats dry, lay the bull's head over the top of it, but they are so thin and delicate, they tore super easy, I got one down, but with some damage, but the other one just ripped to pieces, though the two "Snortin Bull" ones, near the Cockpit, went on beautifully, the same process.

I'm not familiar with this decal, but if it's printed on continuous clear film, you can put a coat of Microscale Liquid Decal Film on to give it extra thickness. Another trick is to cut the decal paper in a square then just slice through the excess clear around the image and leave a place where you can hold the decal with clamping tweezers. The reason to leave excess paper around the decal is to keep the decal from folding under itself.

Here's a picture that shows the way I do this slicing/clamping thing.

171665005.9bhyhhln.IMG_0128.jpg

Here's a short video on the application process that might help.

Hope this helps.