Hasegawa 1/32 P-47D Thunderbolt.

Jeff T

45 minutes ago, JT68 said:

Thanks a lot Bill!.....your build is going great!, and you work a lot faster than I do.:D

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Well, i started my build....in 2017....i am just on a roll recently.  Right now i a, wrestling with landing gear....

9 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

Well, i started my build....in 2017....i am just on a roll recently.  Right now i a, wrestling with landing gear....

I'm pretty sure I started mine in 2013 Bill, just the riveting and some minor work, put it away for years, got rid of a lot of old kits, but always kept this one, because I love the P-47 and hoped I would get back to it someday, and like you, I've been on a roll lately as well.:D

Cheer's,

Jeff.

2 hours ago, JT68 said:

I'm pretty sure I started mine in 2013 Bill, just the riveting and some minor work, put it away for years, got rid of a lot of old kits, but always kept this one, because I love the P-47 and hoped I would get back to it someday, and like you, I've been on a roll lately as well.:D

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thats actually awesome!

Another small update on this one while I wait for paints to arrive in the mail to start work on the plane itself.

1000 Pound Bombs finished,   ( EDIT, I ORIGINALLY MISSED THE STENCIL DATA DECALS THAT CAME WITH THESE, AND WROTE THAT I WISH EDUARD WOULD INCLUDE THEM, WELL THEY DO, I TOTALLY MISSED THEM IN THE PACKAGE, THEY WERE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PHOTO ETCH FRET).

Zxt2iu6.jpg

I will insert some thin brass rod's in them to mount them to the Pylons later.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff T

I also discovered a bit of a problem with my reference for this build as well,...up until now, this was the only photo I could find of the scheme I am doing of  "Snortin Bull".

uHKl70k.jpg

I hadn't realised it has a different marking of the black on the cowl to the one depicted in the Montex Mask's profile until just recently.

kRXfgTD.jpg

I thought Montex may have got it wrong until I discovered this photo,

XF6QPej.jpg

Turns out there were three versions of "Snortin Bull", the top pick that I was using is "Snortin Bull 3",  the one depicted by Montex is "Snortin Bull 2", the first one was a P-47 Razorback.

So in discovering the photo of the correct version that I am doing using the Montex Masks, I noticed that it has a different prop than the one in the first photo, it has a Curtiss Asymmetrical Prop, not a Curtiss Symmetrical Prop like the one in the top photo.The P-47D kit that I have doesn't come with one of these, and by the looks of it, there are no aftermarket ones available either, but Joe Hegedus has very kindly offered to send me one from the Trumpeter kit.

I had the Curtiss Symmetrical Prop from the kit three quarters painted when I discovered this, and could have lived with it if there was no other option available, but it will be good to get the proper one on it thanks to Joe!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by JT68

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to the point of laying down some paint on this thing....knowing that the wing root area of aircraft models can be a problem with the way the paint swirls around in that area,  and you can get a dusty rough section with the paint drying at different times on the different angles, I didnt want to have that problem with the Alclad on this one, ......the last thing I want to be doing is sanding the wing root area over and over if this problem happens here, so I took the same approach that Alex did on his Mitsubishi Claude build in his "In The Navy" Group Build project, and mask of smaller areas so as you're not getting dry paint hitting other areas when you are spraying one area, only I have concentrated it to a lot smaller area at the start of mine compared to Alex's.

I am applying Alclad Aluminium over Tamiya Grey Primer which I have sanded with Micro Mesh pads right up to 12,000 grit to get a very smooth finish for the Alclad.

I am not worrying about a gloss black coat on this because I dont want it too shiny, I want a sort of dull metallic look that I think a wartime aircraft would probably have out in the field, and the Alclad Aluminium is going down shiny enough on the polished grey primer anyway.

3oULERj.jpg

EHcVXAk.jpg

QmcCAAu.jpg

I will now give the section on the main wings a light gloss coat of Tamiya X-22 mixed with Levelling Thinner to try and prevent any Alclad lifting when I mask it to paint the adjoining sections.

This way is a bit more time consuming, but I will do anything to try and avoid repairs on this build, being my first NMF.

Thats it for now,

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by JT68

52 minutes ago, John1 said:

Great work!  Maybe I missed it in a previous post but what are you using to restore the rivets on this kit?

Thanks John!....I'm using the riveter tool from RB. Productions, but I'm not sure if they are still availiable.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=890

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks Matt, Bill and Dennis, and for the likes guy's!

Just another small update...

I have painted the underside of the wings with the Alclad Aluminium, but my old Iwata HP-B airbrush that I usually use just for base coats etc was too fine for the job, and I was getting a very mottled uneven effect that didnt look too good, so I had to break out my very old single action Paasche H airbrush with a No.3 needle on it to get a good even coverage, and I'm pretty happy with the result now.

Looking at the pic of the Starboard Wing, there are a couple of little scratches and panel line gone astray that I will have to fix up, I can see what they mean by a NMF shows up every little flaw there is now, but all in all I'm pretty happy with it considering I had to cut panels out etc to mount the brass gun barrels properly.

Not the best pics, taken with my Ipad.

EWBfBrb.jpg

p60EbYV.jpg

3WhOtD0.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by JT68

On 4/18/2021 at 8:04 PM, JT68 said:

I can see what they mean by a NMF shows up every little flaw there is now, 

Man you aint kidding. I spent most of the weekend playing around with Alclad on a paint mule. EVERY little flaw is magnified. I have been watching your build and a couple others that have been NMF, and using as much info as I can from you guys. It's a lot of work but the end result I got was a very nice aluminum finish, much like yours. I'm not looking for that air show restoration look. There should be some sheen but not polished.

Thanks for posting. It's been a lot of help. 

Andy

BTW, I bookmarked this thread for my P-47 build. Not sure when it will happen, but it will happen. Lots of great info and ideas. A really nice build you got going.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Ayovan said:

Man you aint kidding. I spent most of the weekend playing around with Alclad on a paint mule. EVERY little flaw is magnified. I have been watching your build and a couple others that have been NMF, and using as much info as I can from you guys. It's a lot of work but the end result I got was a very nice aluminum finish, much like yours. I'm not looking for that air show restoration look. There should be some sheen but not polished.

Thanks for posting. It's been a lot of help. 

Andy

BTW, I bookmarked this thread for my P-47 build. Not sure when it will happen, but it will happen. Lots of great info and ideas. A really nice build you got going.

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot Andy!

I am trying everything out on a paint mule as well, try and sort things out there before I hit the main project.

Thanks again for looking in,

Jeff.