Tamiya 1/32 JASDF F-4EJ Black Panthers

Wait, there is "DO NOT PAINT" written in big letters on the radome and yet you painted it? :D Looks absolutely brilliant, mate! Just one remark if I may, I find the wash on the landing gear and especially on the front wheel rims a tad dark. The landing gears of Japanese a/c appear particularly clean, so I would personally opt for a lighter wash.

4 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Wait, there is "DO NOT PAINT" written in big letters on the radome and yet you painted it? :D Looks absolutely brilliant, mate! Just one remark if I may, I find the wash on the landing gear and especially on the front wheel rims a tad dark. The landing gears of Japanese a/c appear particularly clean, so I would personally opt for a lighter wash.

Thanks Ben!

I was initially wondering whether that section of the cone was supposed to have a metal ring painted around it.

I've seen it on other Phantoms, too.

But, no... Apparently the JASDF does paint the whole cone and then adds that stencil! :shrug:

TSOucm.jpg

I think I can still rework the undercarriage. Will try to spray a light coat of white to tone down the wash.

20 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

I would guess the radome is laminated with a gloss black gelcoat, so they probably aren't painted. That was meant to be a joke anyway BTW! ;) 

Gel coat? Now that's something I wasn't aware of.

No issues! I have actually seen F-4EJ models painted with that metallic ring so I did think I might have been wrong anyway. ^_^

On 8/25/2020 at 5:00 AM, spyrosjzmichos said:

Gel coat? Now that's something I wasn't aware of.

No issues! I have actually seen F-4EJ models painted with that metallic ring so I did think I might have been wrong anyway. ^_^

Like others, the radome has a thin rubberized coating which doesn't affect the radar waves, but protects it. You can feel it if you nudge it w. your fingernail.

And yes, I am awaiting the Phinal run to Phinishing this Phantastic build...:frantic:

On 9/1/2020 at 11:23 PM, phasephantomphixer said:

Like others, the radome has a thin rubberized coating which doesn't affect the radar waves, but protects it. You can feel it if you nudge it w. your fingernail.

And yes, I am awaiting the Phinal run to Phinishing this Phantastic build...:frantic:

Thanks for the info! One reason I love this hobby is that I get to learn all these stuff I wouldn't otherwise know about! ^_^

On 9/3/2020 at 12:54 PM, Derek B said:

Looking very nice Spyros, well done.

Derek

Many thanks Derek!

20 hours ago, F`s are my favs said:

wow, That's a kilo of stencils :) Very nice and sharp looking! 

Thank you Milan!

Yes, the stencils were a real pain to apply...

Almost went crazy in the end... :frantic:

18 hours ago, red Dog said:

yeah, awesome model !!

Thank you! ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I can finally call this one done!

While not one of Tamiya's finest in terms of engineering I certainly enjoyed the build both for the challenges it presented as well as for the scratchbuild opportunities. And you do end up in my opinion with one of the most attractive camo schemes ever to be applied on a Phantom.
While not initially planned to such an extend I did eventually use a number of aftermarket sets:

• 3D printed tail fin sensors (courtesy of Ben aka Starfighter)
  • Zotz resin wingtip sensors (courtesy of Colin aka Crobinsonh)
  • Sierra Hotel resin exhausts (courtesy of Erik aka Phasephantomphixer)
  • Wolfpack resin AAM-3 missiles (courtesy of Andy aka Kagemusha)
  • DEF Models FOD covers
  • Quickboost F-4 mirrors
  • DXM F-4EJ Kai decals
  • Avionix resin seats
  • Eduard PE exterior details set and resin wheels

In addition to the above, there's a lot of scratchbuild items in the cockpit.
Painting was done mostly with MRP and Alclad paints and weathering with a combination of Tamiya panel line washes, Abteilung 502 oils and other Ammo/AK Interactive products.

Hope you guys like it!
Many thanks again to those who contributed with resin sets, references and advise! 

PS. Someone has already pointed out that I placed the spine air refuelling marking the other way round. I will be fixing this at a later stage. :BANGHEAD2:

VarLbC.jpg

htW3C0.jpg

LjTUsa.jpg

I1Ouau.jpg

f9zl1M.jpg

t2l2xa.jpg

jDEujC.jpg

cPErFx.jpg

CC6l1D.jpg

RuUANd.jpg

juqv39.jpg

QvEQOi.jpg