Tamiya 1/32 JASDF F-4EJ Black Panthers

3 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Can't wait to see it with some paint on it. Looks great.

May I ask what you are using to add rivet detail? Are you doing them one at a time? The look perfect and very uniform.

Many thanks Albert!

For the rivets, I use a large sewing needle on a hobby knife handle and a photoetched rivet guide from Dream Model (https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dreammodel-no2-modelling-template--1005476). The one at the bottom that looks like a saw.

I do plan to replace the sewing needle with one from a compass kit which is thicker and should better match the kit's rivet size.

4 hours ago, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

Spyros

Here’s the other paint set that I was talking about

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Hobby-Paint-CS665-JASDF-Oceanic-Camouflage-Color-Set/372647818362  

$102.00. For a 1/32 ASM-2 Missile!!!!!   :huh: 

No thank you.  

Vandy, I blame you for making me order this set now! :P

Good thing it's available at my local hobby store so should be receiving it in the next couple of days! ;)

Yes, those 3D missiles are way too expensive. One is probably more expensive than the Tamiya kit itself...

Edited by spyrosjzmichos

2 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Many thanks Albert!

For the rivets, I use a large sewing needle on a hobby knife handle and a photoetched rivet guide from Dream Model (https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dreammodel-no2-modelling-template--1005476). The one at the bottom that looks like a saw.

I do plan to replace the sewing needle with one from a compass kit which is thicker and should better match the kit's rivet size.

Thank you. I will have to get one.

20 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Many thanks Albert!

Not easy but I found the PE rivet guide you linked to. It's coming from China to the US so it will probably take a couple of months but it will be a great tool. Thanks for your help. Your beautiful build has moved my Tamiya F-4J up to next in the queue to build.

3 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Not easy but I found the PE rivet guide you linked to. It's coming from China to the US so it will probably take a couple of months but it will be a great tool. Thanks for your help. Your beautiful build has moved my Tamiya F-4J up to next in the queue to build.

Glad to help Albert!

Another option would be to get MDC's rive template set (https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=76).

However, the rivet pattern is different and you'll still need a needle on a pin-wise.

It's also more expensive.

I used MDC's set on the engine exhaust area.

7 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I dont know what it is about your work, but I am especially loving this Phantom Build.  Great inspiration with the surface detail as I modify the surface detail on the FGR.2 conversion kit I have started on.

Keep up the great work, I am loving it!

Cheers Anthony

Anthony, thank you so much for the kind words!

I'm glad my build has inspired you to work on your FGR.2.

While I'm not always bothered about complete accuracy I do try to make my model look as close as possible to the real thing. 

Most of the time, if it looks good enough it's all good for me! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Hope you're all doing well.

After some preparation time spent sanding off small imperfections and smoothing the airframe I finally started with the camouflage painting.

I was planning to depict the ACM2003 winner and had done the initial camo pattern as such.

However, I eventually changed my mind and went with airframe 27-8306 as I was able to find some good reference pics with some nice weathering.

Because of that, the tailfin pattern is slightly different.

I also based the underside painting on an RF-4EJ picture instead as I couldn't find any photos of an F-4EJ.

uOOJGn.jpg

OpiD7P.jpg

uOAlWa.jpg

I used the black basing method and MRP colours throughout.

I also applied mixes of the main colours with black and white to depict all the touch ups and subtle variations across the airframe.

8GKFXL.jpg

S8KxcC.jpg

uBrK41.jpg

nbqJon.jpg

FicbNv.jpg

mcZcWR.jpg

idc4EP.jpg