Tamiya 1/32 JASDF F-4EJ Black Panthers

On 6/11/2020 at 3:31 PM, Breaker said:

Yeah but the Academy release is from the late 2010's, as opposed to the Tamiya Phantom which is early 90's from memory. 

On 6/11/2020 at 4:58 PM, Dutch Man said:

The Academy was example given for a 1/48 kit that scores better in detail on pylons, (scale wise), according to the static Tamiya releases with no further improvements on those details. With so many top class builds over the years, on multiple forums, builders detailing their kits, the don't have the urge to invest in some after market for example.

Not even speaking of a re-release (that probably will never come).

Looking at the prices for those 'Old Kits', a real Marketing Department should have rolled out a strategy for that. Dinosaur Tamiya does not, (cultural aspect I guess), improve on 'Golden Oldies'.

Back to the topic, sorry for this Waku Waku talks.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan 

Have mentioned it before but have been generally disappointed by this kit.

Considering the cost of this model I would have indeed expected more stuff in terms of details.

Plus some of the engineering choices are just awkward such as the exhaust section.

But I'm glad to say Tamiya has been improving by leaps and bounds as more releases keep coming.

On 6/11/2020 at 6:26 PM, Chek said:

Nice work on the canopy frames. When open they're a very visible detail.

Don't forget to lightly sand/roughen the edges of the transparencies before blackening them.

When attached, that'll prevent those annoying lit edge refraction lines that spoil many models.

Never considered this about the transparencies.

Many thanks for the advice! ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

First off, a very big thank you to Ben Schumacher aka Starfighter for designing and 3D printing the tail fin sensors and to Colin Robinson aka crobinsonh for providing the extremely rare Zotz decals F-4EJ resin conversion parts.

It's people like you that make me appreciate this hobby even more! :bow:

I used a razor saw to cut off the kit's plastic sections and superglued the conversion parts in place.

The tail fin sensors required a bit of blending and for this I used Milliput epoxy. 

miX1pS.jpg

BDi36q.jpg

ZDfjZJ.jpg

RcJSiq.jpg

It has been mentioned several times before but I've also had similar issues with the transparencies.

Because of the way Tamiya has moulded the sprue gates, the clear canopies end up having fracture marks on one side.

I filled in those sections with superglue and sanded everything smooth till clarity was restored.

The marks that have remained will be covered with thin strips of masking paper to simulate the canopy insulation strips.

g0VfrH.jpg

bekDQH.jpg

I also added more detail on the weapons pylons in the form of rivets and wiring.

uPCU9w.jpg

This concludes the construction stage and I can finally move on to painting! :clap2:

A few more pics of the main airframe and subassemblies.  

rwuMow.jpg

9ZiD6W.jpg

1FZdpk.jpg

sKu9jI.jpg

u1bDIu.jpg

5fs9z9.jpg

Looking great!!!!!

Now we need somebody just to 3D print some AMS-1 JMSDF anti-ship  missiles?  
:coolio: that’s the only thing I need for my panther build:blush:  

What brand paint are you going to use for your colors? 

cheers

49 minutes ago, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

Looking great!!!!!

Now we need somebody just to 3D print some AMS-1 JMSDF anti-ship  missiles?  
:coolio: that’s the only thing I need for my panther build:blush:  

What brand paint are you going to use for your colors? 

cheers

Many thanks Vandy!

I came across this 1/32 3D printed ASM-2 missiles from a Japanese vendor: https://booth.pm/ja/items/1535792

They don't seem cheap but maybe worth checking out?

Apart from the JASDF anti-ship missiles a reissue of the Wolfpack AAM-3 missiles would also be most welcome! ^_^

I will be using MRP paints; more specifically MRP-237 (sea blue) and MRP238 (international blue).

I used MRP paints on my previous OV-10 build and I was quite impressed with them!

Thank you so very much for the information on the Anti ship missile. As I’ve been looking for years for one.  I was going to try to scratch build it.    
         On the Wolfpack set I actually have the full Black Panther Wolfpack set that comes with the air to air missile‘s!  I’ll be using a couple of them on a F-15DJ.   I may look into making a mold of them?

On the Mr. Paint MRP  I have the same colors in a set. though I found it that the intermediate blue to be really weathered in appearance?  So I think I will use Gunze’s set instead

Thanks again

19 minutes ago, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

Thank you so very much for the information on the Anti ship missile. As I’ve been looking for years for one.  I was going to try to scratch build it.    
         On the Wolfpack set I actually have the full Black Panther Wolfpack set that comes with the air to air missile‘s!  I’ll be using a couple of them on a F-15DJ.   I may look into making a mold of them?

On the Mr. Paint MRP  I have the same colors in a set. though I found it that the intermediate blue to be really weathered in appearance?  So I think I will use Gunze’s set instead

Thanks again

Hope you can get the missiles Vandy.

I do plan to weather the camouflage based on reference pics so hopefully the MRP shade will be fine. Lets see. :hmmm:

Can't wait to see it with some paint on it. Looks great.

May I ask what you are using to add rivet detail? Are you doing them one at a time? The look perfect and very uniform.

Edited by AlbertD
Added question