Tamiya 1/32 JASDF F-4EJ Black Panthers

This is looking fantastic!

May I ask what you use to highlight all your rivet and panel lines on the bare plastic? It's a really great way to show those off while building, does this not make them shallower? or is it something you have to remove pre-paint application?

57 minutes ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Hi Robert. Thanks for the info.

I'm actually using the Eduard exhausts but they just seem undersized.

Think I'll give GT Resin a try although have had mixed experiences with them due to frequent poor casting quality.

Yes that was what I'm referring to actually. GT sometimes is a real mess. On the other hand detail is just very good sometimes, outer pylons are very good in detail. Bit of a gamble, but  a pricy one also.

Regards,

Robert Jan

3 hours ago, Subodai said:

This is looking fantastic!

May I ask what you use to highlight all your rivet and panel lines on the bare plastic? It's a really great way to show those off while building, does this not make them shallower? or is it something you have to remove pre-paint application?

Hi! Thank you so much for the kind words.

I use mostly Tamiya's panel line accent as I find the bottle and cap with brush very convenient.

I tend to highlight panel lines during the construction to check for any mistakes after rescribing work.

It's a technique I copied from Chuwk actually.

It doesn't add much layer into the lines as it's basically a liquid really. Don't even bother removing before the camo painting.

If I think a line becomes too shallow I just go over it with the scriber but that's rarely cause of the wash.

2 hours ago, Dutch Man said:

Yes that was what I'm referring to actually. GT sometimes is a real mess. On the other hand detail is just very good sometimes, outer pylons are very good in detail. Bit of a gamble, but  a pricy one also.

Regards,

Robert Jan

Totally agree with you. Those sets are very pricy and it really hurt when I once got a badly cast cockpit... 

4 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Hi! Thank you so much for the kind words.

I use mostly Tamiya's panel line accent as I find the bottle and cap with brush very convenient.

I tend to highlight panel lines during the construction to check for any mistakes after rescribing work.

It's a technique I copied from Chuwk actually.

It doesn't add much layer into the lines as it's basically a liquid really. Don't even bother removing before the camo painting.

If I think a line becomes too shallow I just go over it with the scriber but that's rarely cause of the wash.

Oh brilliant, I just got a batch of that to finish some commissions that need doing for my dad. I'll have to give that a try :)

17 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Thanks Vandy. I checked their website but it's sold out. Will keep searching. 

Email them, They are very small company one or two guys but they do make nice stuff

they should  easily pop one out for you. Unless the molds went bad? 

14 hours ago, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

Email them, They are very small company one or two guys but they do make nice stuff

they should  easily pop one out for you. Unless the molds went bad? 

Thanks for your advice Vandy.

Will actually give it a try and see.

Hopefully, I'll be lucky. ^_^

8 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

This is wonderful.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you so much Mark!

Small update for today.

Tamiya's canopy frames seem to have the basic shape right but lack any detail.

I decided to add some scratchbuild details from plastic sheet and punch a few rivets to liven up these parts.

The detail is by no means accurate but it does improve the look of the frames.

5bcmaZ.jpg

JVvu0r.jpg

T0zd2f.jpg

I also took the opportunity to assemble and clean up the fuel tanks and weapons pylons.

The pylons themselves were detailed with part from Eduard's PE set.

MdLWmP.jpg

xHFgpv.jpg

Great work. But looking at the pylons comparing to the body work from the kit, I never understood the lack of detail when it comes to riveting those pylons.

They never improved it in later releases.Bit of a disgrace...

Even a 1/48 scale Phantom from, e.g /Academy has better detail on these parts of the plane.

Keep it coming, like your work very much.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

14 minutes ago, Dutch Man said:

Great work. But looking at the pylons comparing to the body work from the kit, I never understood the lack of detail when it comes to riveting those pylons.

Even a 1/48 scale Phantom from, e.g /Academy has better detail on these parts of the plane.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Thanks for point that out Robert.

I never really thought about detailing the pylons more.

But since you mentioned it, I'll have a look at reference pics and see what I can add. ^_^

On 6/7/2020 at 1:11 PM, Dutch Man said:

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Yeah but the Academy release is from the late 2010's, as opposed to the Tamiya Phantom which is early 90's from memory. 

1 hour ago, Breaker said:

Yeah but the Academy release is from the late 2010's, as opposed to the Tamiya Phantom which is early 90's from memory. 

The Academy was example given for a 1/48 kit that scores better in detail on pylons, (scale wise), according to the static Tamiya releases with no further improvements on those details. With so many top class builds over the years, on multiple forums, builders detailing their kits, the don't have the urge to invest in some after market for example.

Not even speaking of a re-release (that probably will never come).

Looking at the prices for those 'Old Kits', a real Marketing Department should have rolled out a strategy for that. Dinosaur Tamiya does not, (cultural aspect I guess), improve on 'Golden Oldies'.

Back to the topic, sorry for this Waku Waku talks.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan