Unexpected problem with AKs "Real Colours"

dutik

Hello!

Used for the first time AKs "Real Colours". Filled some Redbrown and some Smoke into my airbrush to add some staining. Well, first the airbrush clogged within seconds. After cleaning and changing the nozzle/needle to 0,4 mm it worked more or less (this paint is really sticky), but then something odd occured:

The paint created fluff at the model. Some kind of white filament. Looked like fine hair or spider web floating around the surface of the model. My first idea was that the surfaces of the model got dusty over the weekend, but than I checked it with a sheet of clean cardboard: The fluff/filament was created where the paint hit the cardboard. Really odd behavior. Never had this problem with any other brand of paint.

Well, I am done with AKs Real Colours, but did this happen to other people too?

BTW, they smell like a dentists room. Not my cup of tea. Also sticks like hell to the airbrush and the hands. Really hard to clean off.

Regards

- dutik

If the fluff is like cob webs made of paint, it reminds me of issues I had with Mr Color not being thinned quite enough. Certain colors seemed to need a lot more thinner than others and the strange fluff appeared if I did not add enough. It didn't make sense, but that is what happened.

Edited by CATCplSlade

23 minutes ago, Wurzacher said:

Hallöle!

I also have some of those colours here with me, but haven´t used them ´til now. Looking forward what others will reply to this.

Did you use their own thinner?

I didn't use any thinner at all. So maybe they have to be thinned.

Well, mistakes happens when trying new products. Wasn't aware that the higly praised "Real colours" aer NOT airbrush ready. Nevertheless, I will pass this one and go on with my proven paint brands. No expense on more thinner and no dentist like smell as well.

Thank you!

- dutik

51 minutes ago, dutik said:

I didn't use any thinner at all. So maybe they have to be thinned.

Well, mistakes happens when trying new products. Wasn't aware that the higly praised "Real colours" aer NOT airbrush ready. Nevertheless, I will pass this one and go on with my proven paint brands. No expense on more thinner and no dentist like smell as well.

Thank you!

- dutik

I find 90% of airbrush problems are caused by insufficiently - or incorrectly - thinned paint.

A paint you have to thin works out cheaper in the long run, as thinner is cheaper than paint.

Ive recently started to use the AK paint line and i must say im in love!! 

But im pretty sure that your issue is that you did not thin it. The only other case of this kind of issue is use of inproper thinner, i.e tamiya paints with laquer thinner has the same reaction.

I use mr leveling thinner with the ak paint and im extremely satisfied.  They do have a strong smell but i have a huge paint booth that shoots air outside so after couple minutes the smell is gone.

Im starting to migrate to this from humbrol enamels myself

Edited by Neo

27 minutes ago, Neo said:

Ive recently started to use the AK paint line and i must say im in love!! 

But im 90 sure that your issue is that you did not thin it. The only other case of this kind of issue is use of inproper thinner, i.e tamiya paints with laquer thinner has the same reaction.

I use mr leveling thinner with the ak paint and im extremely satisfied.  They do have a strong smell but i have a huge paint booth that shoots air outside so after couple minutes the smell is gone.

Im starting to migrate to this from humbrol enamels myself

Are you really 90?