Tamiya 1/32 F4U Corsair 1841 Sqdn Robert Hampton-Gray HMS Formidable

ajaycad

Her is my representation of the aircraft flown by Lt Robert Hampton Gray VC when he attacked the Amakusa and was killed on 9th August 1945, the last Canadian VC of the war.

There is much debate as to the markings and aircraft he used on that sortie, so here is my example.

Thanks for looking

Andy

20180614_120630_zpsn6pbt2l9.jpg

20180614_120658_zpsnrhx30p4.jpg

20180614_120742_zps4cyv5qnh.jpg

20180614_120853_zpsmayoghva.jpg

20180607_174051_zpsp8g6uco1.jpg

20180614_120836_zpsgquuesnt.jpg

20180614_121054_zpsso6dh38f.jpg

20180109_163611_zpszs6jjvss.jpg

20180123_165422_zpsz89ikcjv.jpg

Edited by ajaycad
text

Excellent build, finish and weathering - hats off :thumbsup:

Would you mind sharing some additional info on the AM and paints used - for example the Sutton harness??

Lothar

Hi Lothar,

The harness was from the HGW range, excellent as usual.

Mr Color paint from Gunze....C365 Gloss Sea Blue FS15042 blended with lighter/darker colours as required.

This was also my first effort with liquid chipping fluid from AK, I usually use the silver pencil method, but I think the chipping fluid gives a more realistic effect in this scale.

Cockpit was mainly from the box (its Tamiya...say no more !) but I did add eduard etch for the switch/guage panels. Lead wire for the engine ignition harness.

Decal are from eaglecals set 163 FAA Corsairs, but I had to make the serial numbers from the Xtradecals X32022 RAF/RN Serial Number set.

What a beautiful Corsair, and a wonderful tribute to the last Canadian VC. The detailing is superb and clean, and that weathering and finish totally convincing. There is a lot of discussion around which particular aircraft he was flying that day, but I believe this was his usual mount. None of that distracts from a great build. Thank you for sharing this!!

"Hammy" Gray trained here at our airport in Kingston, Ontario.  There is a memorial dedicated to him ( the stone cairn under the port wing of the Harvard )  beneath the Harvard that was raised from the bottom of Lake Ontario and restored .  Sorry for the diversion from your post.

pdvNZmul.jpg

Yx2ERCql.jpg

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Thanks Richard,

No need to apologise for diverting the post, Its always an honour when there is a specific link from what your attempting to build and actual history and the people involved....much respect 

Edited by ajaycad
text

Hi Ajay,

I clicked on the link you provided but Eagle does not make markings for his aircraft. I sent an email to HGW models asking them if they would consider making a wet transfer set for this aircraft. Serial no. KD658 with 115 numbers or as some have speculated 119 which they argue was the aircraft he flew on that fateful day. They have not responded. I asked HGW because they make some 1/32 Corsair wet transfer decals.

Edited by Totalize