Straightening piano wire?

I have some .013” (.33mm) piano wire coming in the mail that I want to use to simulate push rods on a radial engine. The wire is made from spring steel but it comes in a roll which I believe imparts a bit of a curve to the wire when cut into short sections.

Has anyone out there had success straightening piano wire? If so, can you share your technique?

Thanks.

I can't speak for piano wire specifically, but most wire can be straightened by rolling it against a hard smooth surface with a metal ruler or such object. Barring that, I expect you could always stretch it between a couple of secure attachments for a while to train it.

I don’t know about piano wire but I guess it’s akin to guitar strings. If so, it’s made from tempered steel and will stay straight especially if cut in short lengths.

'The wire is made from spring steel but it comes in a roll which I believe imparts a bit of a curve to the wire when cut into short sections.'

Wikopedia:

Spring steel is a name given to a wide range of steels[1] used in the manufacture of springs, prominently in automotive and industrial suspension applications. These steels are generally low-alloy manganese, medium-carbon steel or high-carbon steel with a very high yield strength. This allows objects made of spring steel to return to their original shape despite significant deflection or twisting.

Spring steel will be straight.  You can bet on that.

Sincerely,

Mark

Another way to straighten wire is to twist it between two points.  If you can get it into a drill chuck, you can wrap the other end around something solid, and start spinning.