Azur Ms 406

gustave venelt

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys!

DONE§§

I've finally had time to finish....I could see the finish line but couldn't reach it, just like in those wacko dreams where you run and run but don't get any where, hehe, must have woken up I guess. ;)

Ray: I used the same book from where I got the line drawings...As for the colours, they seemed to be dark blue and black. Since the fuselage sides are actually maintenance panels, I thought these would be in a tanish colour called chamois (most interior places apart from the cockpit would be in this colour). So as I said at the beginning of this build, the colours where chosen more on a guess than on actual Knowledge...I can lend you the book if you like, just send me a PM ;)

Chris: Thanks my Messerfriend! The brush was not very small, I mean not of the 1 hair type, however it is a good quality brush with a fine tip made of "martre" ( a small ferret like animal, I don't know the english word).The brand is Isabey n°1. Hope that helps.

Matty: Come on! Don't tell me you didn't like my D.520 :angry: It was weathered with love and care!! It was SOPPOSED to look like it had hit the ground at high speed ;) !!! :lol: :P

post-4-1141666293_thumb.jpg

Here is a list of the tweaks I've done:

- scribbed the lines around the exhausts, and a few on the rudder.

- made the tiny vertical "indents" along the fuselage side panels and near the elevators.

- opened the air scoops on either side (3 on each side).

- made a very small opening under the first exhaust on either side as well as a larger one under the

uppermost intake on the right side.

- scribbed the oil filler cap and oil level window on the right side.

- opened the spot where the big airintakes are sopposed to be glued on; modified the intakes so they don't look like part of the fuselage.

- stressed metal effect on the wings, rudder, "chin"and along the fuselage panels (unfortunately too lightly).

- riveted the darn thing.

-added two strengthners to the glycol radiator.

-scratched the under belly antenna ( kit one badly warped).

-added break lines to Lg and retracting arms (not sure if they're correct)

-made new barrels for wing guns and propellar canon.

- made an "arrow" on the rudder.

- scratch built trim acuating arm on rudder (wrong shape though).

- made a new exterior sight ( if anyone is able to use the one supplied in the kit, I'll drink a liter of beer in less than 3 seconds)

- made a new windshield...although the correct size if compared to the kits center canopy, it looks too big to me (more like a MS 410 windshield). The shape of the side windows are not quite corrct either... ;)

- After having glued the wing some raised detail was lost and had to be redone.

- replaced the tube between the skid and the fuselage. This friggin part has a bad tendency to break towards the rear, just before the round part.

post-4-1141669303_thumb.jpg

Cockpit work included:

- thinned the side walls and made the edges using beer can.

- detailed the rear of the head rest (don't know what the heck for).

- detailed the back side of the dash board ( hardly noticeable).

- added some wire here and there, detailed the control column.

- added some bits and pieces to the sight.

- scratchbuilt the radio and the oxygen bottles (in a very basic way) behind the pilots seat. Very much thinned the P seat.

- made the hand grip on the WS.

Watch out for the part "pur3"!! In step 4 you are supposed to glue it under the dash board to the fire wall. The instruction sheet shows pur 3 upside down.

post-4-1141671276_thumb.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

Awesome Gustave!! Really special job on that model. You have done some spectaular work with a difficult kit.

Cheers mate,

Jay

This is the 4th 1/32nd plane I do, but its only the second that I finish.

First came a Bf 109 g-10 (which got shot down over my desk in exactly the same way as the D.520 and exactly for the same reasons: paint), then a FW 190 D9 (finished), then the demised D.520 and finally this Ms 406.

What I mean is that I'm really happy with the result but...I really have ALOT to learn.

Some examples in this "category" include:

- learn to dose future. I can't count how many times I had to clean the clear parts because of over enthusiasme. Also, it gave a "pebbleish" texture to the plane since I sprayed it on at too high pressure.

-learn to observe plans and pics better. The pur3 part problem shouldn't have been one since I have some pics as well as plans...the same with the WS shape. Better observation would have saved the day.

- Another observation dumbness: I was "sure" that the LG doors would cover most of the rear part of the wheel, so I didn't correct its (un)details...my pics clearly show how bad it really is.

-Number N750 could not have been n°634. I have a grid with all of the MS 406's on it but well, what can I say? ;)

- Exhaust stains and karmann weathering over done because I mis judged the diluation of my "wash".

post-4-1141673821_thumb.jpg

Wow, Gustave; outstanding work on a not-too-often seen aircraft. Very nice, and as others have said, your paintwork is to die for. Just so realistic! Thanks for listing your tweaks; that's nice to see in one list. And the cockpit looks fantastic too. Thanks for sharing!

Jimbo

Wow GV...that looks awesome. Could do with some more photos to see all your tweaks. The pit photo looks incredible.

Hehe..glad this one escaped your unique weathering techniques...at least it gave us heaps of laughs at the time.

cheers mate Matty