Hasegawa P-47 and Quickboost Engine question....

Jeff T

Hi all,

Has anyone out there used the Quickboost engine on the Hasegawa P-47?..., just wondering if there is anything I have to look out for, and do you still have to do the corrective surgery to lower it so the cowl fits right.

Any tips are much appreciated.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by JT68

I used it on mine, and you do still need to do the surgery sadly. The only thing to watch out for really is to make sure you sand the base of the engine down nice and flat, and just keep dry fitting.

It’s a lovely engine, and with some spark plug wires looks great, just a shame you don’t see much of it once it’s in the cowling!

Not knowing how accurate you're trying to be, that Quickboost engine detail is not correct for any bubbletop P-47D (D-25 through D-40).  It has a dual magneto and teardrop shaped distributors.  All bubbletop P-47D's were outfitted with an R-2800-59, B-series (bullet shaped prop reduction gearcase) and a General Electric "turtleback" magneto system.  What Quickboost gives you is the Bendix-Scintilla dual magneto ignition system.  The red outlined areas in the image below are: dual magneto left and teardrop shaped distributors at right.  Those are the offending parts.  You do get the unpressurized tubular ignition manifold ring so you've got a 50/50 chance of that part being correct (I don't know if the -59 engine had the tubular or cast ignition manifold on it... I need to do a deep dive into the books to discover that)

A representation of the correct R-2800 ignition system installed in the bubbletop P-47D's is shown in the bottom photo (note that this is not a R-2800-59 but has the same ignition system on it).  Note the missing dual magneto between the distributors which in this case ARE the magnetos.  A blanking plate would be fitted over the drive pad where the Bendix-Scintilla dual mag would otherwise sit.

Again, not trying to poo-poo on the Quickboost upgrade but forewarned is forearmed.  Sucks to be in an "accuracy" battle in a build only to find out when it's all completed that the engine is somewhat wrong.  It's akin to using interior green in the P-47D cockpit only to find out when the cockpit is done that it should have been dull dark green.

b38OH0u.png

RssMIhj.jpg

8 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Not knowing how accurate you're trying to be, that Quickboost engine detail is not correct for any bubbletop P-47D (D-25 through D-40).  It has a dual magneto and teardrop shaped distributors.  All bubbletop P-47D's were outfitted with an R-2800-59, B-series (bullet shaped prop reduction gearcase) and a General Electric "turtleback" magneto system.  What Quickboost gives you is the Bendix-Scintilla dual magneto ignition system.  The red outlined areas in the image below are: dual magneto left and teardrop shaped distributors at right.  Those are the offending parts.  You do get the unpressurized tubular ignition manifold ring so you've got a 50/50 chance of that part being correct (I don't know if the -59 engine had the tubular or cast ignition manifold on it... I need to do a deep dive into the books to discover that)

A representation of the correct R-2800 ignition system installed in the bubbletop P-47D's is shown in the bottom photo (note that this is not a R-2800-59 but has the same ignition system on it).  Note the missing dual magneto between the distributors which in this case ARE the magnetos.  A blanking plate would be fitted over the drive pad where the Bendix-Scintilla dual mag would otherwise sit.

Thanks a lot for the info Juggernut!....I do like to try and get as accurate as I can, so if I become aware of something thats not accurate, I will try and rectify it, if I dont know about it, then thats no problem too, but I do try and get as accurate as I can.

So, is the engine in this pic got the right magneto/distributor set up?...with the middle section between them blanked off?

rbX35Gk.jpg

The kit one looks to be incorrect as well for a P-47 D-25 through to D-40, is this correct?

LTuBsSf.jpg?2

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to confirm which is the right one, its a little confusing to an engine dummy such as myself.

Cheer's

Jeff.

Edited by JT68

1 hour ago, JT68 said:

Thanks a lot for the info Juggernut!....I do like to try and get as accurate as I can, so if I become aware of something thats not accurate, I will try and rectify it, if I dont know about it, then thats no problem too, but I do try and get as accurate as I can.

So, is the engine in this pic got the right magneto/distributor set up?...with the middle section between them blanked off?

rbX35Gk.jpg

The kit one looks to be incorrect as well for a P-47 D-25 through to D-40, is this correct?

LTuBsSf.jpg?2

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to confirm which is the right one, its a little confusing to an engine dummy such as myself.

Cheer's

Jeff.

Yes, the magneto setup is correct but again, am not sure about the harness ring.   You are also correct that the kit engine isn’t correct either.  

Thanks a lot Jug!....since the kit ones aren't correct either, I might have to try and scratchbuild them,....if I cant, might just have to use the Quickboost one's and be done with it, because they look a lot better than the kit ones.

Thanks again Jug!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by JT68