Polish F-16 Block 52: Tiger Meet 2015

Uncarina

I've been working on this steadily, focusing on the cockpit, intake, and main landing gear bay. I also received the parapack assembly from the Academy kit (Thanks, Helmsman!). For the cockpit, I used Airscale instruments and placards, modified the ACES II seat to a later version, and modified the rear bulkhead vents. It's getting there!

Cheers,  Tom

uPmpgC0.jpg

sr7XAol.jpg

zpi7PfA.jpg

Edited by Uncarina

On 4/4/2020 at 7:10 PM, Uncarina said:

Just a brief update for today. I started on the ejection seat. One of the things I find oddly fun to replicate is the fuzzy seat cushions. Others have used PVA glue with resin dust, but I like to minimize my exposure to the latter. Something I found by accident was that Tamiya Pavement Effect texture paint works really well. It acts like stippled Mr Surfacer, but is odor free and thins with water. Here it is shown with the completed seat from my previous Viper build:

z8W2xGS.jpg

While that dries I moved on to the rest of the cockpit, focusing on the left sidewall. Both sidewalls had slight ejection marks, which I removed with a fiberglass pen. Once this was done I scratchbuilt the canopy ejection handle and canopy lock mechanism:

iwJOmh9.jpg

Cheers, Tom

Did you apply it with a brush just like applying Mr. Surfacer???

Tim

Spyrosjzmichos, Max, Lothar, 

Thanks so much! I do enjoy fussing over the cockpit detail painting in general, other areas I tend to be a slacker: landing gear bays for example. I’ve made some good progress now on the lower fuselage and am now trying to fix up the mouth of the intake. Pics to come!

Cheers,  Tom

Don't know if it's still possible to change it, but that ADI (horizon) is upside down, as if the aircraft is on its back, flying inverted, which with an open canopy spider shouldn't be possible

Blue is sky, brown is ground. I hope you don't mind me pointing it out. 

uPmpgC0.jpg 

On the plus side, I really love the open spider. You could also place the throttle more vertically as when it's in cutoff it's position is more vertical (engine out)

but that's a very minor detail

Great pit, I really love the added details

Edited by red Dog

Thanks Oliver! That texture paint was a lucky discovery. I believe it is the canopy ejection handle. The larger yellow object is the canopy lock that can flip up when the canopy is lowered. I bet there is a story somewhere about how it came to be installed.

Cheers,  Tom

P.S. I am really enjoying your Wessex build!

Edited by Uncarina

16 hours ago, red Dog said:

Don't know if it's still possible to change it, but that ADI (horizon) is upside down, as if the aircraft is on its back, flying inverted, which with an open canopy spider shouldn't be possible

Blue is sky, brown is ground. I hope you don't mind me pointing it out. 

Actually,  when an aircraft is sitting powered down, the attitude indicator usually sits crooked. I've never seen one sitting perfectly straight.

Tim

Actually,  when an aircraft is sitting powered down, the attitude indicator usually sits crooked. I've never seen one sitting perfectly straight.

That's correct for 100% realism with engine down, it should be just a bit rotated, but not inverted

Thanks Oliver! That texture paint was a lucky discovery. I believe it is the canopy ejection handle. The larger yellow object is the canopy lock that can flip up when the canopy is lowered. I bet there is a story somewhere about how it came to be installed.

Cheers Tom.

The small yellow T handle on the left is indeed the manual canopy jettison handle
The larger spider's purpose is multiple:
It's a switch guard for the canopy open/close switch (inside the wall)

it's a throttle stop preventing the throttle to be moved in AB with canopy not down and locked (thus when Spider is opened)

and it inflates the canopy seal after canopy closure for the pressurisation system upon Spider closure against the wall

Edited by red Dog