Polish F-16 Block 52: Tiger Meet 2015

Uncarina

Since I finished my last Tamiya Viper back in 2017 I have wanted to build a more recent Block, and around that time I picked up the Model Maker stencil set for a Polish Block 52 with markings for the 2015 Tiger Meet. Now the time is right--thanks Patrick! I will be converting the Tamiya Block 50 to the Block 52 version. Many of you know much more than I do about the Viper (please keep me honest), but here is what I will need to do:

1. Pratt and Whitney 229 engine (I have the set from the Tamiya Thunderbirds release, and I am ordering a decal set for the carbon fiber petals).

2. This engine used the NSI (small mouth) inlet (I am using the GT Resin conversion).

3. The Block 52 had a larger nose wheel (I will be using a main wheel from the 1/48 UH-60, per Peter Fleischmann's Block 52 build).

4. Extended parabrake (I will either be able to purchase a PWMP set or scratchbuild).

I first checked out the resin inlet from GT Resin, and I was impressed with the detail and fit. Next, on to the cockpit.

Feel free to follow along!

Cheers, Tom

lbWjvT9.jpg

nojJflP.jpg

d5drdDU.jpg

ezdvZEM.jpg

Edited by Uncarina

Hi Tom!

outstanding! This will be fun to watch- I love the Polish block 52’s- and the particular scheme you’ve chosen will look so cool. Looking forward to more! You are off to an excellent start!

Also; You  may be able to find an extended parabrake housing from the Academy kit. It requires a little fiddling; but It’ll work as well-

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Scratchbuilding the brake chute housing is fairly straightforward - this is the one I built for the Chilean F-16 in Pete's book since the Wolfpack item was too small to fit (due to shrinkage).  I used the antennas from the resin set however.  The brake chute itself is not difficult to make from Magic Sculpt or similar epoxy putty.  Or lead foil.

4xb4T9Z.jpg

Thanks Everyone! This is just the kind of support I need to give it my best. Pete, that’s a good idea as well—I’ll put in a request on the traders board. Jens, you did a great job, and failing a replacement I actually would enjoy the challenge of making my own.

Cheers,  Tom

I'm hoping the front row seats haven't all be taken by now. Excellent choice of markings for this build.

I had the pleasure to see a Polish Block 52 Viper in Tiger Meet markings at the meet at Cambrais:

PM0,5-8796And3more_tonemapped_filtered-X

I'll definitely follow this one with immense interest.

Lothar

Edited by Lothar

Just a brief update for today. I started on the ejection seat. One of the things I find oddly fun to replicate is the fuzzy seat cushions. Others have used PVA glue with resin dust, but I like to minimize my exposure to the latter. Something I found by accident was that Tamiya Pavement Effect texture paint works really well. It acts like stippled Mr Surfacer, but is odor free and thins with water. Here it is shown with the completed seat from my previous Viper build:

z8W2xGS.jpg

While that dries I moved on to the rest of the cockpit, focusing on the left sidewall. Both sidewalls had slight ejection marks, which I removed with a fiberglass pen. Once this was done I scratchbuilt the canopy ejection handle and canopy lock mechanism:

iwJOmh9.jpg

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina