Lone Star 1/32 P51B Resin Cockpit and Wheel Wells

James Rademaker

I’m a new member to LSP and would like some opinions (if any) on the Lone Star 1/32 resin B Mustang cockpit and wheel wells. Has anyone used this aftermarket kit? I have an opportunity to get one and would like to know if it’s better than the Aries replacement kits.

Jim

I have Mike’s cockpit sets for the P-12 and P-40B (cockpit is correct depth!).  They fit well after a bit of sanding, and are accurate.  I have the Aries P-51B set. Note the Aries P-51B wheel set is really for the P-51, P51A and Apache. The cockpit fits well but some details and the seat seem too small.  Probably some compromise in order to fit without the need to hack out the Trumpeter kit cockpit walls.   I am going to order one cockpit set from Mike.  Probably will not receive it until May (read his Website).

HTH

Rick

1 hour ago, James Rademaker said:

I’m a new member to LSP and would like some opinions (if any) on the Lone Star 1/32 resin B Mustang cockpit and wheel wells. Has anyone used this aftermarket kit? I have an opportunity to get one and would like to know if it’s better than the Aries replacement kits.

Jim

Welcome James!! :clap2:

Welcome James! Always good to have another builder of Mustangs...

The Lone Star set is not too bad, it's complete and accurate but not quite as sharp as what you would expect from more recent resin upgrades, or Aries. They need some cleaning up before you install them. I have two each of the Lone Star cockpits and wheel wells. I haven't actually used them because I grew discouraged with the Trumpeter kit the more I looked into the inaccuracies. I can take photos of the Lone Star sets this morning for you and post them here for you to see.

He also had a beautiful and accurate Malcolm hood for the Mustang III (P-51B/C) that came with the tracks and rails. I'm not sure that is still in his catalogue. 

Long story short, still worth getting if you can. It would definitely improve and correct the Trumpeter or Revell cockpits. 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Richard,

thank for your insight. I have an old REVELL B Mustang in my stash and just looking for replacement kits to update it. The last time I did this kit I used the Aries cockpit and wheel wells but I added the Trumpeter windscreen. The windscreen fit well. 
Jim

Here you go James, so you can see what you're getting in the Lone Star resin sets. There are some holes and pitting, and some flash which is simple to remove. The oxygen hose on the starboard side of the cockpit has broken off on both my examples. 

The wheelwells:

ZRUG6url.jpg

1lCtAI3l.jpg

Cockpit parts:

rdD8iy0l.jpg

M6SO3SFl.jpg

JkzQAPYl.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka