The thinnest, finest material you've ever used?

I would like to make nice, thin DF loops like the one in this picture.

90145684_873285476471528_223186384251256

Wire or plastic will be too thick, and of a wrong cross section.  My other resources are .3mm thick aluminum and maybe some PE fret.  If you multiply .3mm by 32, you arrive at almost 10mm. 

Can anyone think of anything else that might get me closer to scale thickness?

Gaz

I use regular printer paper cut in very thin stripes. I glue one of them in the correct length in place and then

apply very thin superglue on to the paper. The paper soaks the superglue like a sponge and hardens

the soft paper. Looks very convincing - at least to me :whistle:

Lothar

Lothar has a good suggestion, but there also is sheet plastic that is paper thin, I have some of it.

Its hard to work with though.

Another idea would be clear acetate from a kit or a spaghetti box container...or the like.

4 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I like the clear cellophane from cigarette packs.

cheers

Pete

Pete,

Yours was the first I had to try as it was the thinnest material and because I have some on hand.  Getting the angles where it attaches to the base is of paramount importance to the shape, it seems.  Because you just don't want any old loop, you want one that mimics the original.  I've actually added one to a 1/48  scale me-262 and it's drying.  What is your preferred glue for the job?  I had to use two glues because CA wouldn't hold straightaway.  I ended up using canopy glue to give me something tacky, then I hit the joints with CA to firm them up.  I'm waiting for the CA to dry before I attempt a little cleanup.  I also had to use a Sharpie to color the cello because I could barely see it even with my best vision enhancers.

Gaz

Pete,

Thanks for the recommendation!  Fortunately, I found a supplier in Australia, too.   i don't think any int'l parcels are getting through for a while.

Gaz