New tool for sanding.

Troy Molitor

If the shipments to Europe can be done to - ahem - avoid Parcelforce & the dreaded 20% VAT, that would make them much more affordable.

With the Euro & Sterling both very weak, it would make up for the rubbish exchange rate. (I remember buying WNW kits from New Zealand and getting $1.65 to the pound. Now, $1.15-$1.20!!)

Perhaps they could ship them straight to customers individually, keep the certified value below $15 or so, hence avoiding VAT?

Or, they could label it "Coronavirus Sample", so Parcelforce will be inclined to NOT open it.

I'd be happy for one to be sent without a plug, as wiring plugs is one of the few skills I possess.

However, the price looks like it will be high - $99 is around £85 or so. Add, say, £15 for shipping and that's £100. And then if it's intercepted by parcelforce, that takes it to £128.

Which is a shame. I like the look of it, and the variable speed is something that the Proxxon version doesn't offer, and it looks to me to be more ergonomic.

Saturday afternoon a package from Troy showed up on my doorstep.  My first impression  was the packaging of the product, once I figured how to remove the printed outer sleeve .  The sander is packaged in a very sturdy slip top box that is a great storage case for the tool.  The base, sanding inserts and electrical plug are in the bottom of the inner box and the sander itself is in a molded foam inner tray.  The sanding inserts and 2 diamond tips are contained in a clear acrylic reusable box that would look great on the bench.  Fit, form and function of the tool is of the highest standard and I could find nothing that would be considered a CON.  I figured that like most starter sets for tools, there would be 1 piece of sandpaper in each grit and you would immediately either need to reorder from the manufacturer or find your own source.  However I was very pleased to find not 1 but 10 sheets of each grit in the starter pack.

I also had access to some foam sanding sheets so spent a couple hours putting the sander through it's paces and was very impressed.  It's well built and feels like it will last a long time in the hands of a busy modeler.  I am also a wood worker and have a large number of diamond sanding tips in various sizes and shapes as well as micro files that all fit the tool and are very versatile for working around a model.

I know that Troy is hoping to carry both replacement sandpaper and sanding foam in the future.  One thing I did ask him to research was the possibility of selling secondary sets of the sanding inserts so that the modeler would have the ability to modify them to custom shapes for that special need on a particular model part.

I would highly recommend this tool and will be demonstrating it during our next virtual club meeting - my club held our meeting this past Saturday using a virtual product called ZOOM.  There are a few hiccups to figure out before the first live meeting but we did 3 hours and I know everyone had a great time as we shared new tools and looked at what everyone was working on while trapped at home.  Our club always has a couple video presentation each meeting and they can also be shown over the Zoom format.  Give it a thought for your next club meeting, it will make the quarantine just that much easier.

Jerry 

4 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Thanks Jerry.  Enjoy your sander!   I read about some hi jacked zoom meetings recently.  Be safe out there everyone.  

Cheers

Troy 

Personally, I'd avoid Zoom at all costs, as it has some very real and very serious security and privacy shortcomings.

Kev

This sander is pretty cool. I spent an hour with files thinning one blade of a cut-down resin prop, then 15 minutes each with this sander for the other 3 blades. 

Can't ask more from a tool than to substantially cut down the time it takes to complete mundane tasks like sanding. :) 

Thanks Troy!

D

Awesome.  Thanks D.  Enjoy the sander.  

This is exactly why I made contact with the company in the first place.  I was on a waiting list while living in Singapore to get one of these sanders.  Saving time is something I was looking for with my purchase and not destroying a lot of panel lines with my usual heavy handedness.   

Thanks again.

Troy 

Just FYI.  

I also can send these sanders direct from the factory to the U.K for an additional £20 in shipping,  if interested?  The VAT issue is still your direct concern however.

The same will apply to anyone in Europe or Latin America.  The unique wall plug in is key to know in-advance because they come with only come to you with one unique adaptable in the wall plus adaptor.  

I have 15 coming in next week but they will only have USA wall plugs.   

Thanks again for your interest and support.  

Regards,

Troy.  

Good news! 

A shipment of 15 arrived today.  I’ll be able to send out the -400 sanders this week.  I will contact the individuals that ordered this over the last 10-12 days and make sure you still want them.  Again, the three pack of sticky sided sand paper will accompany the sander orders.  

The shipment cost will be $15.25 in the continental US with the US Postal bulk box rate.  

I can also also send the -400 sanders to Latin America, Europe or the U.K from the manufacturer directly to your residences.  I just need the address, email and contact phone number.  

Thanks again for the support, LSP community.  

Troy