New tool for sanding.

Troy Molitor

Hey LSP community,

Several months ago while I was living / working in Singapore and I picked up a really useful tool at a local hobby shop.  The tool is a David Union 400 linear pen sander.  It's a small, handheld pen-like device which has a thumb speed control and it comes with multiple head adapters with various shaped heads.  The small plastic heads use sticky-sided sandpaper which you fasten to the head, and once the pad becomes worn out you just peel the worn off pad and simply apply another new sanding pad to continue sanding.  Easy.  The lateral motion has a 3mm fore & aft stroke and works brilliantly.  I really hate to sand wing to fuselage seems, and this tool can really get into those tight areas without destroying a lot of surrounding area.   

When I got back to the USA at the end of last year, I tried to convert the plug unit on my 400 sander which has provisions for a totally adaptable plug head to receive various plugs from Europe and throughout Asia, but I wanted to convert it myself.  There is no US distributor for David Union, so I cut off the 220 volt head and replaced it with a US standard 115 volt head.   It’s didn't go as well as my Sparmax compressor adaptation which I converted the same way, so I ended up ordering the new plug from David Union.  

Fast forward:
In communicating with them for the proper parts, David Union Group asked me if I would be willing to sell some of their 400 sanders here in the US. I agreed, and ordered a few extra sanders with my plug adapter purchase.  All the extra sanders in this first shipment come with a USA standard 110 volt wall plug. In addition to the David Union 400 lateral sander, there will be three packets of various grades of adhesive-backed sandpaper.  There is a cardboard template provided which you use to cut up the various sized sanding pads to fit the multiple heads included with the sander.  More than enough for a long supply of this unique sandpaper.  

Here's a few images and a link so you can see what I’m talking about:

The price is $99.00 USD for the David Union 400 sander with sandpaper assortment and adapter heads.  Shipping will be extra.  

Rest assured that this is the standard pricing that David Union offers online. I only offered to try and sell these for them after receiving the great support with my initial inquiry. If this venture goes well, my next shipment will be thirty sanders which I can order to specific global plug in adapters for various counties.  I have already sold a couple of these unique sanders to my LSP mates but I thought I’d test the waters here to see if there might be any further demand.

There are a couple pointed, round-shaft adapters which you can see on the website being used to remove the multiple 3D posts on a printed part.  The unique feature is the lateral 3mm-stroke motion.  Several imitations are out there but they just vibrate and don’t have the lateral motion.  I’ve used this sander on an He 162 wing, and soon will be put to use on my PCM Macchi C.202, too.

Kind regards and happy modeling.  

Troy

Interesting. I think Proxxon used to do something similar?

Reminds me of a cross between my cordless Dewalt multi-tool & cordless Dremel.

Could see the advantage especially for those doing lots of resin models. Whilst certainly squarely in the "not essential" category, it could prove useful for those with arthritis or similar conditions that make sanding painful.

If it were cheaper, I'd 100% buy one to try (being an absolute sucker for this sort of stuff), but I'd imagine the EU price, after shipping & VAT, will be substantially higher?

22 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

Interesting. I think Proxxon used to do something similar?

I have the Proxxon tool and I use it a lot. I also "customised" some heads to get into odd or tight spaces. It is ideal for sanding filler-filled ejection pin marks in tight spaces. 

Radu 

When you don’t want to do a lot of re-scribing this little sander does the job where needed.  I also have a small dish of water handy where I dip the plastic tip of the -400 into when doing a little wet sanding for the tight areas.  I’m sure this isn’t recommend but it works brilliantly.with a little wet sanding in areas.  

I would also recommend that you cut up an entire sheet of sticky sided sandpaper all at once and keep them in a small container.  You will go through a few sanding pads and it isn’t fun to stop what you’re already sanding to cut up more sanding pads.  

Hey  LSP community,

Thanks you all for the interest and enthusiasm.  I managed to sell all the sanders I had initially purchased.  I have three more on a waiting list for my next shipment.  Hopefully this will arrive next week.  Again I make a small mark up on these sanders but the price is exactly the same price from the manufacturer.  I just happen to be closer and asked if I could step in for my LSP community. 

A couple of points I want to mention.  If there are any further American (Latin and Canada) interests I would need to know the specific wall plug in.  Brazil, Argentina etc.  I know they are different.  Canada would be similar to the US standard I’m assuming.  Please let me know.  

Europe.  I’m trying to get DU to ship them directly to Europe / U.K. with out sending them to me.  This should help on postal rates I’m hoping.  Still pending.  I also need to know the plug requirement.  

The US customers. I found a standard US Postal box rate of $15.50 which I hope will eliminate me going to the post office during a mandated shelter in place order!  California customers, I should be able to beat the rate of $15.50 further for you.

last item.  I’m also going to try and sell the adhesive sandpaper and have this on hand in case anyone runs out.  You will receive three packets of sticky sided sandpaper with your sander order.  This should last you a while but ordering sandpaper from Asia might not be an ideal comfortable option.

Thank you again for the great enthusiasm.  

Troy 

A little update and some good news.  I have 15 sanders heading my way.  I’m also going to stock up on the unique sandpaper in case individuals run out and don’t want to order direct.  Remember your sander will come with three packets and this supply will last you a while.

For any European or else where interest.  I’m working directly with David Union to see if they will do a factory direct shipment but there are some logistics to work out.  I’ll keep pushing on this idea and hope to have an answer for us early next week. 

Regards,

Troy