HK Models B-17 E/F backdated to a B-17D

patricksparks

Love the CAD work, looks fantastic.   Speaking as someone who's done this before, I encourage you to add some locating pins and holes where the fuselage sections connect.  Once CA glue starts to grab on to 3D printed resin you won't be able to adjust its position any more.  If your alignment is a bit off when that happens you'll probably need to reprint the parts and try again.

The new printer arrived a couple days ago, I didn't figure that I would spend almost an intire day trying to get the printer to open my 3D files....I didn't give in, finally got it going... So anyway I've had some pretty good results with the prints so far, had a couple fail but it was because I tried to use small supports with very little contact depth and diameter...lessons learned.. also I purchased "plant based" resin, got it because it supposed to not smell as strong as standard resin, it still smells pretty strong to me, not much different than regular stuff(at least to me..) prints pretty good, but I think I will go back to regular stuff..

I have printed some of the fuselage sections and some oxygen tanks, I have already started going back and modifying the files to make them print better, nothing major so far concerning the changes, just some gaps that I missed and I have to play with the support layouts. I bought the ANYCUBIC PHOTON MONO X printer, it is really nice, huge build volume, 192mm X 120mm X 245mm, it also prints very fast even when it's set for printing for "best quality". The attached are the first prints as of today, I will be printing them again with some minor changes. Oh, and my UV light for curing the resin died this morning... always something...

UbglJsA.jpg

lnsyOm3.jpg

8guZGli.jpg

WyWTnuJ.jpg

CKhDmwb.jpg

tC7rqii.jpg

CIHaNr9.jpg

PPQip53.jpg

Pat

8 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Great work on the printing Patrick!  Really looking forward to this project.  Are all the holes at the horizontal stabilizer for extra bracing, or for printing purposes?

Matt 

Thanks Matt, the holes in the fillet are for mounting the stabs, only 2 or 3, the others are just to get rid of excess material to reduce shrinkage.

Pat

3 hours ago, brahman104 said:

MEGA COOL Pat! The first section turned out awesome! Super impressed you included the tail wheel trunnion in the print too...... how did you manage the supports for that?

Craig

Thanks Craig, I realized that I could include the trunion in the print when I decided to print all the fuselage sections standing on their ends, I wanted to do this in order to keep the sections as round as possible without having to put a mountain of supports inside the parts, the trunion because it has the 2 sets of angled arms coming off the forward bulkhead act like build supports, I added a couple small supports to the arms just in case, it worked to my suprise with no issue..

Pat

On 7/8/2022 at 1:02 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Nice work, Pat! I'd assumed you were going FDM for printing these. I've got an Elegoo Saturn myself, which is similar in size to yours, but I'm just beginning my journey into 3D printing. Looking forward to seeing some more parts!

Kev

Thanks Kev, I wanted to print in resin so that I could get much better definition on the parts particularly the interior structure detail that FDM wouldn't be as refined . Good luck with your journey into the printing world, have patience, at times it can get frustrating for sure !!! I finally got my new printer running after an entire day of cursing it out because of slicing software issues.... I then printed my files for the B-17 and almost got all 4 sections of the fuselage good on the first go , I went back and made some corrections on my files and started to print again and what do you know... first print file failed and the second file failed... so I went and had a bunch of drinks to cool me down before I threw the whole lot out the window... I got up this morning and cleaned up the printer and I'm now in the process of going back and re-slicing the files and re-doing the support layout which I "THINK" is the cause of the fails...

Thanks again,

Pat

I hear you Pat. I think I printed about 16 cowlings, and only just managed to get 4 that were passable. Tried every orientation/combination I could think of, but just couldn't get them as nice and repeatable as I would've liked. Which is why I'm super impressed at that tail section of yours!

Good luck with the next attempt!

Craig 

• 4 months later...