1/18 Focke-Wulf Fw190C V18 'Känguruh'

airscale

I have said "it doesn't get any better than this" many times in your build threads, and I was wrong each and every time. Another step towards perfection... it's just so impressive what you are doing, Peter. The level of craftsmanship is just beyond belief and I think I've said this before as well - it's hugely inspiring, motivating and depressing at the same time. Please keep doing what you are doing!  

afternoon my friends :)

Something arrived in the post this week which has meant I could crack on with my favourite part of any build..

..this stack are the custom decals for the 190 that I had in the corner of a layout sheet for an airscale restock. The good thing is they are super high quality decals, the bad thing is I have 75 copies as that was the sheet order size for one of the layouts… I only need one of any decal on the sheet as I have so many copies and it keeps the sheet size down, plus there are a few bits on there for friends

pnhhHrE9j

..anyways, I don’t have any WIP shots, but I have been busy – this is the V15 cockpit I am basing the V18 on..

pmy9DTwDj

..and my version..

..upper panel..

pmvmlR90j

pokObuf5j

panel in front of the control stick..

pmU4hl8vj

lower panel..

pnz5mubWj

poccOuPsj

pmNHuV44j

..and sort of how they go together..

po6m7t8yj

pmcUWetYj

..and that’s that – favourite bit done, it’s all downhill from here :ph34r:

On 7/12/2020 at 11:31 PM, sky said:

Well well well, it would seem as if I need to get me some unobtanium eh lithium, dammit, litho plate to play with.

As I have said before the results are amazing (as usual...), the way they are done is not exactly rocket science with a bit of planning ahead (and mostly household tools). Just look at the boss for the punch and die action: haphazardly glued bits of styrene on a flat surface, that kind of looks like my desk while building. It's just that I don't use that to create shapes in litho over it (yet! - see above, lack of litho...) :P. However, for me it just happens, whereas Peter does plan ahead - as is apparent by the printed out templates, that either have already been turned into PE sheets or will likely be some time soon. So again thank you, Peter, for showing us how it's done.

Looking over the build process I need to keep reminding myself that for a lot of parts it is not some super duper magic stuff happening, but simply adding relatively simple shapes and things on top of others to make complex shapes (which btw is very similar in 3D modelling). See that radiator - 3D printed body with added PE. Ok, I was honestly disappointed that the internal radiator structure was not made from individual PE sheets but is just a structured blind stuck on the front. The next one must be! (Ok, so who am I kidding here? ;)). Or the layered sidewalls - "simple" really if you know how to use software to draw things, but the effect is amazing.

Back to the sidelines, watching, hopefully learning :)

Thanks Sky - appreciate that. You are so right, if you break this all down, it is simple tasks. I still say that if you approach each and every component as a model in itself then the quality of the output goes up :)

TTFN

Peter

Congrats Peter, you've saved a kit from the shelf of doom after more than 20 years!

I'd laboriously fabricated the dimple panels and webs in the U/C bay on my MPM kit then started reading about how the D series had left the panels off for improved engine bay cooling.

So I figured, in the absence of actual data, the same is very likely true for the similarly inline engined C model.

I considered swapping the wings on to a regular A model, but the moulded exhaust tube fairing channels on the upper wing parts didn't make that an easy option.

So into storage it went until I summoned up the courage to rip out the dimples. Bit of a pain as the photo etch radiator grilles and cockpit parts looked great.

Only to find out now after all this time that they're fine as they are.

I'll get back to it and hopefully make the decision whether to finish it as a prototype, or go for a faux operational hi-altitude finish.

2 hours ago, Chek said:

Congrats Peter, you've saved a kit from the shelf of doom after more than 20 years!

I'd laboriously fabricated the dimple panels and webs in the U/C bay on my MPM kit then started reading about how the D series had left the panels off for improved engine bay cooling.

So I figured, in the absence of actual data, the same is very likely true for the similarly inline engined C model.

I considered swapping the wings on to a regular A model, but the moulded exhaust tube fairing channels on the upper wing parts didn't make that an easy option.

So into storage it went until I summoned up the courage to rip out the dimples. Bit of a pain as the photo etch radiator grilles and cockpit parts looked great.

Only to find out now after all this time that they're fine as they are.

I'll get back to it and hopefully make the decision whether to finish it as a prototype, or go for a faux operational hi-altitude finish.

Well, I don't know they were fitted and in fact since I made them, a pretty convincing argument has developed to say they were not. As you say the inline D series didn't have them and while I know the fuselage of V18 was an early A model, the wings as a bolt-on unit could be A or D based

I think the compelling reason they were likely not there is that there is a chuffing great big pipe that comes out of the bay at the rear spar and feeds into the big scoop under the fuselage and when I mocked this up in the bay the pipe clashes with the dimpled roof parts..

pnpamKL7j

..that said, I have made them now, I like them as a feature and to date there is zero proof they were not there so I am just going to do a bit of 'whiffery' and modify them to accomodate the pipe - I can live with that and I hope you can too and rescue yours from the SOD :)

Peter