1/18 Focke-Wulf Fw190C V18 'Känguruh'

airscale

9 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

No wonder your models cost so much to build.  You go "all in" on every model, which is very fun to witness.  it?

Cheers,

Chuck

You are not wrong there Chuck - the costs on this one are already eye watering...

21st Century Toys kit £165

HB kit £100

3D printing £100

PE £90

Books, plans & drawing CDs £120

Paints £30

so I am already over £600...

I have to look at it that it is about £1.50 a day for as long as it will take me to build it otherwise I might give up the hobby!

Peter

evening ladies :)

got a good session in over the weekend, so a bit more to show..

the prop blade root rings were laminated & assembled...

pmL2CFHsj

..not fixed yet, but slid on for size..

pmQFJeTOj

..and what they will look like on the prop..

pn39AnUgj

..the floor parts were prepared, some are laminates and the one in the middle needed the rectangular pressing adding by first making a template and working some annealed litho..

the far left part is the firewall bulkhead..

pncb1p96j

..the base part for the rear canopy had a brass channel added to the back..

pmfgsnD0j

..this was then added and a little bit of P38 filler to just fair it in just right..

.the rough holes in the floor are just that - rough holes in the floor (to allow the proper holes to be see through)

pmX8KnDbj

..to make the pressing that is behind the seat and holds the baggage hatch, I made up a buck in thick plastic card so I could form a metal one over it..

po9PfOFij

..the first stage in forming - this is after a little hammering and pressing with wooden tools..

pnniTsTTj

..and after finessing a bit...

poTnPub2j

..I actually decided to leave the part on the buck and integrate that into the model - here the floors have been fitted, but the seat bulkhead is just restiung in place..

polPDTbhj

poLbrGlGj

pnWBhzu4j

pnyfzJ1Bj

..it's nice to get going now I have the PE - lots of little projects I can get on with..

TTFN

Peter

Hey folks :) thanks so much for your encouragement - means a great deal to me

Started working on the cowling having sorted the prop out – it’s unpainted NMF and split into four panels…

pmGBJ600j

..before I could do that I needed to form the fairing that goes from the fuselage in behind the radiator, so this was roughed out in litho in two parts..

poNNYhvxj

..then once finessed a bit, I marked the locations of the rods that control the cowl flaps..

pnfwCuXIj

..with that done the cowl was temporarily added to mark out the panel lines with cotton and draw them on..

pmGcMNzoj

..then the first panel was laid down starting with the flat part at the rear and working the metal forward over the cowl lip..

po6Ha9O4j

..that ultimately failed as all the folds & kinks formed on the cowl lip and in sanding them to a reasonable finish it started to get too thin & break up..

So take 2 was to start forming at the lip and work backwards, but this too resulted in too many deep folds and a pretty crap finish..

pnRStSBmj

..the front of the cowl finished up well, so I thought I could maybe do it in two parts, by removing & replacing the rear section where the cowling is flat..

poXfHWm6j

..to repeat this four times for each panel would be a pain so I finally decided to start again but with one forward part for the whole lip and try and get it to conform as far back as possible..

pmR2yvpMj

..then once this was trimmed, one sheet was wrapped around the rear…

pnn44Fa1j

..it was then burnished down to overlap the cowl nose part…

pmQHApLij

..then sanded away the overlap getting a near invisible join..

pnBF4igsj

..then the panel lines were marked out again..

pmdtOLAFj

..and the panels scored into it and rivets added – here also the cowl flaps are taped in place..

pmdANItJj

..also test fitted the PE parts for the radiator which fitted beautifully..

pojcGxdIj

..then the nose could be dry fitted for testing looks & fit..

poZIjfgwj

..it was really difficult to skin the cowling and I am not 100% happy with it, but I can’t face doing it all again..

pnZBaJbBj

poZ3LfK3j

one thing I am not sure about are the internal colours for things like the inside of the cowl – on the P51 it is interior green or zinc chromate, on a 190 I assume it’s RLM66 in the cockpit, but are internal parts either RLM02 or anodised metal? Any thoughts welcome

TTFN

Peter