1/18 Focke-Wulf Fw190C V18 'Känguruh'

airscale

Hi!

Great progress on the modifications. The chin intake is impressive!

The tail section work is coming along nicely also. I'm not too sure what you mean by fuselage extension. The V18 did not have the constant box section extension ahead of the tail. It did have the small extension between fin and rudder the D-9 had.  In short, it is a prototype with unique characteristics!

Alain

5 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Hi!

The tail section work is coming along nicely also. I'm not too sure what you mean by fuselage extension. The V18 did not have the constant box section extension ahead of the tail. It did have the small extension between fin and rudder the D-9 had.  In short, it is a prototype with unique characteristics!

Alain

..and there it is folks - 100% proof positive that forums and the good folk on them are as important to my model making as glue and filler...

Thank you Alain for pointing that out - I would have realised eventually that there is no fuselage extension on V18, but when and how far down the road I have no idea - you have saved me a ton of work & stress :)

..at least this is a simple one to recover from!

Thank you, thank you, thank you

Peter

15 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Hi!

Alain

9 hours ago, airscale said:

..and there it is folks - 100% proof positive that forums and the good folk on them are as important to my model making as glue and filler...

Thank you Alain for pointing that out - I would have realised eventually that there is no fuselage extension on V18, but when and how far down the road I have no idea - you have saved me a ton of work & stress :)

..at least this is a simple one to recover from!

Thank you, thank you, thank you

Peter

Well, and now you know you had to saw the tail off, for sure!

4 hours ago, fastterry said:

Just noticed, having read about the 'no extension' on the rear fuselage, that the fin that was used is from an A-3 or earlier. Note the aerial lead in.

TRF

another fabulous spot - this just goes to show fools rush in..

I made the immediate assumption this aircraft was a converted D9 and knowing nothing about it just blasted ahead..

Thank you Terry for again saving from myself...

I have just bought the Hobbyboss 1/18 A8 from which two good things will come... one, it has a tail I now need as I have tortured mine, and it has a cockpit I can base an airscale upgrade set on..

I am humbled by the power of this forum, and super grateful for all the builders sat at my desk with me course correcting :)

Peter

4 minutes ago, airscale said:

I have just bought the Hobbyboss 1/18 A8 from which two good things will come... one, it has a tail I now need as I have tortured mine, and it has a cockpit I can base an airscale upgrade set on..

Peter

This is outstanding news! I have the Hobbyboss kit and have put off starting it due to the basic cockpit - as soon as your set is available put one by for me!

Isn’t it just amazing how complex the design and development of aircraft is: you are not alone with such errors, Peter - we’ve all been there!

All the best,

Tom

Hi Peter!

Don't rush scrapping the original tailplane! As far as I can tell by your photos, everything you did until now is 100% correct!

All that needs adding is that antenna lead to the top. You added the broad fin and the kit gives you the box section between fin and rudder which is only standard in the D-9.

The D-9 parts are still the best to start from, even if the original plane was an early '190.

Alain

Hi Peter and Tom (and other 1/18 Fw190 owners!)

I wonder if Ali at Aerocraft might be persuaded to do one of his excellent brass super strong undercarriage sets for this? Or do you have another more tailor made solution in mind, Peter? She'll be a heavy girl, for sure!!  Looking forward to seeing more!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Alain is quite correct, I remember when I constructed a Ta152 out of a Revell D-9 (back in the stone age) the front top of the fin had to be extended as per your new fin & rudder. Funny how they used the early A type aerial lead in when the aerial  on the Ta152 just goes to a small connection on top of the fin. Must of had the A lead in lying around and thought it looked cool.

TRF

1 hour ago, fastterry said:

Alain is quite correct, I remember when I constructed a Ta152 out of a Revell D-9 (back in the stone age) the front top of the fin had to be extended as per your new fin & rudder. Funny how they used the early A type aerial lead in when the aerial  on the Ta152 just goes to a small connection on top of the fin. Must of had the A lead in lying around and thought it looked cool.

TRF

Actually, the whole plane was an early A model to start with, so this bit was right there!

Alain