1/18 Focke-Wulf Fw190C V18 'Känguruh'

airscale

Peter, for another poster I took some detailed photos of the FW-190D (reproduction) at the local Military Aviation Museum... you can get them here:  FW-190D Photos

Additionally I also took photos of an original FW-190A.. as your model is kind of a hybrid, maybe they will also be helpful:  FW-190A Photos

Hope something in those links is helpful.

Bil

I am surprised how well the model compares to the drawings! I assumed you would have to do a lot more work than extend the fuselage a tad.

BTW, for those of us with the Hobby Boss 1/18th FW 190A's, could you do a short run on those PE parts you will undoubtedly do your magic on? I am sure a good number of the parts will work for late A's and the cockpit needs the most attention, like your C model.  

On 4/6/2020 at 2:35 AM, LSP_Ray said:

I am surprised how well the model compares to the drawings! I assumed you would have to do a lot more work than extend the fuselage a tad.

BTW, for those of us with the Hobby Boss 1/18th FW 190A's, could you do a short run on those PE parts you will undoubtedly do your magic on? I am sure a good number of the parts will work for late A's and the cockpit needs the most attention, like your C model.  

Actually, that is not a bad idea, Ray.

Peter, I know you said that you were exploring options on how to help bring down your build costs, (and for those of us who do not subscribe to Patreon or similar services), this might be a viable option to help. If you are developing parts for this kit, you might, as Ray suggested, make copies of things you develop like photoetch, placards or instrument related stuff and offer them for sale for those of us who are also wanting to build 1/18 Wurgers. I for one would be happy to purchase some things like that to help by large scale Dora along. Just some food for thought!

Looking forward to the next update, regardless!

THOR    :ph34r:

2 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Peter, I know you said that you were exploring options on how to help bring down your build costs, (and for those of us who do not subscribe to Patreon or similar services), this might be a viable option to help. If you are developing parts for this kit, you might, as Ray suggested, make copies of things you develop like photoetch, placards or instrument related stuff and offer them for sale for those of us who are also wanting to build 1/18 Wurgers. I for one would be happy to purchase some things like that to help by large scale Dora along. Just some food for thought!

Indeed. I’ve often looked at those giant 190’s especially since special offer prices come up on them quite often but it’s the lack of detail sets or any real aftermarket that puts me off getting one. 

On 4/5/2020 at 11:35 PM, LSP_Ray said:

I am surprised how well the model compares to the drawings!

Most of those 21st Century Toys kits were surprisingly accurate.  I know Roy Sutherland was involved in their production, but still.  They were definitely chunky and toy-like, but were accurate in shape.

Matt 

True! I had a couple of the 1/32nd ones and they are not bad. It does make me wonder where Hobby Boss developed the molds for their 190 kits from. The A-8 I have has much more delicate exterior details - panel lines, etc - than what Peter shows on the D-9.  

On 4/6/2020 at 2:35 AM, LSP_Ray said:

That might get me to finally pull the trigger on that huge Fokker...

evening gents :)

Firstly thanks for all your kind comments & suggestions :)

On 4/5/2020 at 11:05 PM, richdlc said:

another awesome project! DOn't forget I know Eddie Creek so if you have any specific questions about this variant do let me know

Hi Rich - that is definately something I will take you up on - I need all the help I can get given this is a one of one variant!

On 4/5/2020 at 11:28 PM, Bil said:

Peter, for another poster I took some detailed photos of the FW-190D (reproduction) at the local Military Aviation Museum... you can get them here:  FW-190D Photos

Additionally I also took photos of an original FW-190A.. as your model is kind of a hybrid, maybe they will also be helpful:  FW-190A Photos

Hope something in those links is helpful.

Bil

Bil those photo's are really useful, thank you so much for posting them - the earlier A model is also of interest as the V18 I am doing had the early A model fuselage (A2 or A3) so has the early instrument panel without the big instrument bezels on the outside (the panel was a pressing) so anything I can find on early versions will be useful (thanks to Roger too for the research tips)

On 4/5/2020 at 11:46 PM, SCRATCH BUILDER said:

Nice project Peter,

I went for Benefactor ;)

Brilliant! thank you, I am really enjoying making videos of the progress so I hope you enjoy them :)

On 4/6/2020 at 7:35 AM, LSP_Ray said:

On 4/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, bdthoresen said:

Thanks Ray & Thor - I will do a set at some point as the research builds up - unfortunately the cockpit I will do on this version is different to the more common later versions, but nonetheless I will be able to at least make up the instrument panel and side consoles. The only issue is not having the kit to make it fit to - I did toy with getting one anyway as there are probably bits I can use in this model, but it was £100 so I am still debating :)

You have my commitment though - at some point during this build I will do a set

On 4/8/2020 at 3:45 AM, Captain Boogaloo said:

Hello Chaps,

Did you know Verlinden do a Fw190 cockpit in 1/20? It might yield some useful bits, there was a seller on ebay doing a bit of a discount recently, think I picked one up for about £12. Might be worth a look?

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Ah, now that is useful to know, I will have to check it out :)

I had a few days off plus the weekend so managed to get some of the heavy engineering done - this is all shape & stregth groundwork for all the detail that will come later..

I wanted to join the fuselage halves together, so one task was to get the right fin profile - the V18 has the broad chord fin so I scaled the Bentley drawings and cut it from a sheet of brass - the trailing edges are left short to allow for the recessed rudder & hinge...

WIP0030_zps0pkhcioj.jpg

..I added a spigot to mount the tailwheel on later on - please excuse the terrible soldering...

WIP0031_zpsbwt9nzwf.jpg

..before adding this tail profile and cementing the halves together I added big brass strengthening rods to the lower fuselage so I can chop out a section to make and fit the cockpit pod..

..all this was done with JB Weld for optimum strength

WIP0033_zps6o7oksuk.jpg

..another profile addition was a brass straight edge from the cowl front to the cockpit windshield mount - the model had this line about 4 - 5mm too low and the V18 has the same upper fuselage as the D13 so no big cannon breeches - you might just be able to see it in all the JB Weld in this shot... it gives me a point to sand the filler to without straying...

WIP0032_zpsvr0vfla3.jpg

..then the cowl was cut off and a fairing piece made from discs of plastic which is part of what goes on beneath the cowl flaps - the discs were made with an olfa cutter and laminated - I used an old dremel spigot as the centrally located prop shaft...

WIP0034_zpso5byhewn.jpg

..this was added and the forward fuselage corrections made (in rough for now)..

WIP0042_zpszjrykbyr.jpg

..plus the tail was battered about to meet the brass profile...

WIP0043_zps01zb8plp.jpg

..again on the nose, you can see the chin scoop on this variant - this was a great profile shot to show it's exact location & shape...

WIP0035_zpsk2k5lmpw.jpg

..I can tell you now, this is going to be very difficult to skin in metal - both inside & outside the scoop..  this is the V13 with the same scoop design, but good additional shape info..

WIP0036_zpsvgihhcxs.jpg

..I started by covering the fuselage in plumbers ali tape to stop things sticking to it (for long) and added the two known shapes I have - the side profile and the shape of the airscoop hole...

I need to make this part in resin so I can skin it properly, it would be way too weak if I just make the scoop and hollow it out

WIP0037_zpsx8ipd8mt.jpg

..slathered in P38 filler...

WIP0038_zpsjvn5qk3l.jpg

..after sanding & shaping..

WIP0039_zps53r95urg.jpg

..and the shape is almost fully developed..

WIP0040_zps5atdozmy.jpg

..I then cracked this off the fuselage and it is now sat in the second phase of a 2 part rubber mould so I can cast it...

WIP0041_zpskqr0jj87.jpg

..the last thing for today is correcting the fuselage extension - in the model it is a bit indistinct and too far forward, so after looking a long time at what I could do I decided that as it was such a signiature part I had to take drastic action...

I sawed the tail off...

..the profile is taken from Arthur's drawings and I will make the uniform extension section that goes here...

WIP0044_zps3mcmpczy.jpg

..you can see the kit parts are too square too when compared to the profile which will also be sorted..

WIP0045_zpsusqazufd.jpg

WIP0046_zpsnfdwmor2.jpg

..so that's it - a few days work, but I feel like I am motoring ahead :)

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale

19 hours ago, Captain Boogaloo said:

Hello Chaps,

Did you know Verlinden do a Fw190 cockpit in 1/20? It might yield some useful bits, there was a seller on ebay doing a bit of a discount recently, think I picked one up for about £12. Might be worth a look?

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Thanks for the info , I got the hobby boss 1/18 fw190 and going to back date it to a JG1 A-5 . hope the cockpit fits .