1/18 Focke-Wulf Fw190C V18 'Känguruh'

airscale

As my P51C is nearly finished, I wanted to start on a new project.

This is the Focke-Wulf Fw190C V18, about which Wikipedia says:

"The C model's use of the longer DB 603 engine required more extensive changes to the airframe. As the weight was distributed further forward, the tail of the aircraft had to be lengthened in order to maintain the desired centre of gravity. To test these changes, several examples of otherwise standard 190 As were re-engined with a supercharged DB 603 to experiment with this engine. Prototypes V13 – V16 tested various PS and DB603 engines until the V18 followed, the first to feature the full high-altitude suite of features, including the pressurized cockpit, longer wings, a 603G engine driving a new four-blade propeller, and a Hirth 9-2281 turbocharger. Unlike the experimental B models, V18 had a cleaner turbocharger installation, running the required piping along the wing root, partially buried in the fillet, and installing both the turbocharger air intake and intercooler in a substantially sized teardrop shaped fairing under the cockpit.[36] This "pouch" led to the "Känguruh" (Kangaroo) nickname for these models."

I was drawn to it as I have always loved the 190 series, particularly the ‘Langnase’ D models and in particular, this airframe had about as much natural metal as I could find on any variant which is my penchant for showing.

There are a number of period photo’s walking round the airframe so let’s take a look at the challenge ahead..

WIP001_zpswdtipbqq.jpg

WIP002_zpsxxg2vbhl.jpg

WIP003_zpsmgjqp8n0.jpg

I also found some very nice shots of a built-up model – no idea whose or what scale, but credit to them..

WIP0013_zpspeuav4fm.jpg

WIP0014_zpsnj56omqb.jpg

As for the basis of the model, I found the range of 21st Century Toys 1/18 models online, which feature ‘toylike’ things such as spinning props, retractable U/C, moveable flying surfaces, but at their heart are actually very accurate replica’s of the airframes covered (at least the Fw190D is..)..

A quick tour of the model – this was £160 on ebay – probably well overpriced, but when I see what I want, I pay for it..

WIP004_zpsiz1aj8wa.jpg

WIP005_zps6jota34b.jpg

WIP006_zpsiiw705gh.jpg

WIP007_zpsimzritws.jpg

WIP008_zpsyywwxlcu.jpg

WIP009_zpszvisqgpm.jpg

WIP0010_zps83lpz4y4.jpg

WIP0011_zpszhjvh0tu.jpg

WIP0012_zpss0st3y2d.jpg

So my take is this is a great basis for my next project. I have been busy collecting reference online, have a 1/48 Eduard ProfiPack Fw190D kit as a reference mule, a CD of works drawings on their way from ebay, had Arthur Bentley run me up a fabulous set of 1/18 plans and started some rudimentary artwork for some of the Photo-Etch components that will need to be developed, plus a very healthy dose of excitement and trepidation :)

I am going to need all the help I can get in interpreting Luftwaffe colours etc and I know we have ‘experten’ on hand, so please get involved :)

One thing that is different for this build though is a new thing I am trying called Patreon. This is an online platform where I get to share WIP content to ‘patrons’ who support me. It means nothing in terms of my forum posts here as they will continue with the regularity and scope they always did, but what it does mean is I can bring video to the build and in some ways ‘exclusives’ to those who choose to support me – this is an expensive hobby, I think my P51 netted out at about £1.8k all in and I am simply trying to find ways to offset that via the content I create for people to enjoy.

Anyways, no-one has to do it, but there is a welcome video with a walkaround of my P51C that anyone can see, so if you are interested take a look at that at least!

In addition, there are already Fw190C videos up

Here is the link to my Patreon page

I hope you will join me on my next journey and next time I will have this 'toy' broken down into a bunch of expensive parts

TTFN

Peter

Ah, using the Jv44 version of this same kit as the basis for my big build. Looking forward to what you do with this, as not being computer literate enough to design and print my own decals, design my own photo etch, etc. stopped me dead in my tracks.....so she sits waiting for my return as a pile of parts. 

Good Luck my friend-

THOR    :ph34r: