Tamiya F-4J Marine VMFA-334

dmthamade

On 5/5/2020 at 11:54 AM, Derek B said:

Looking great Don, nearly there now. :popcorn:

Derek

Still have a lot to do, the snakeyes are resin with nice but fragile fins, have to be careful x 6, seats need paint and ejection curtain loops, some weathering, canopy assembly/paint, exhaust can painting/weathering...

On 5/5/2020 at 12:31 PM, Dragon said:

Looking great!

Mike

Thanks, Mike!!

13 hours ago, mozart said:

That’s a heck of a lot of stencilling Don, looks absolutely splendid! :clap2:

Yup!!! stencilling...I was thinking of being lazy, but AOA instructions are clear, " WU-5 had typical airframe data, panel numbers, and stencils applied". Any pics i find of VMFA-334 birds clearly show...all stencils. On they went. All decals took about 5 hrs to do. I have the gear on as well as all the doors, and here is where i found something i didn't know. I've always assumed Navy and Marine aircraft had the gear doors with a red outline, a safety thing, and always did so on my builds. Well when researching things, i found pics of VMFA-334 birds with all white doors as well as other Navy/Marine phantoms without the red outline. Found several pics of A-4 Skyhawks like this as well. So the gear doors on this bird, are white, and this has nothing to do with my laziness. 

Don

Edited by dmthamade

Progress!! I've managed to get most all of the main stuff done. I did a bit of weathering starting with a panel line wash with Florys wash. I did some staining with Tamiya makeup, went lightly as there are a lot of pics that show a suprisingly clean aircraft. Made certain areas grimy where hands would touch loading weapons, boarding, tops of intakes due to boarding, hinge points, typical stuff. The rear fuselage on any Phantom gets dirty, nature of the beast so i went heavier here. Still have to weather the fuel tanks, pylons and weapons. Everything is painted, decalled and gloss sealed, they just need a weathering, a wash and dullcoat. I found on this build my new go to matte coat. Vallejo matt varnish, 70-520. I had initially dusted it with Tamiya  XF-86, found it to have a little too much satin sheen. Tried the Vallejo on the airbrakes and flaps, looked great!! Almost dead flat and really helped to blend the thick Tamiya decals in. The AOA decals are just great, they absolutely looked painted on. Back to work tomorrow so will slow down a bit.

t8wqoG.jpg

5juUAa.jpg

96reSD.jpg

2ebIB2.jpg

Don

The Flory wash is  always consistent, works fine all the time. It's surprising how long a small bottle lasts, the bottle i have is 2/3 full and i've used it on 7 builds, all 1/32. Found a little time to add some pylons and weapons to the build. I used the Trumpeter LAU-33 launchers. These were completed for an old build, the rocket heads needed to be sanded and scrape to give a little more accurate look.

1f9aYt.jpg

A5hiRK.jpg

Back at work, been busy so time might be a little short.

Don

Adding more to the build. Finished the Videoaviation Snakeyes, truly nice stuff!! I have his BL755s, LAU-3, and TSCs and they are great looking. I've gotten to the point that i can't avoid painting the seats....cockpits are a source of frustration...will start tomorrow.

i8hiUU.jpg

5Zt9QQ.jpg

J0RqQx.jpg

Don

I am happy with the build, relatively trouble free, a Marine aircraft, and a Phantom loaded with weapons. Wanted to build an F-4 with this loadout for a while, finally got it done. Thanks for the positives, guys, means much. Forgot, one boo boo, the main wheels are wrong!! the ones on the build are for a USAF bird, the correct wheels are still on the sprues.....

Don