Tamiya F-4J Marine VMFA-334

dmthamade

58 minutes ago, Finn said:

Don the official reports of the squadron you are doing are here:

http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/VMF-334.htm

Command Chronology is usually brief reports of the particular time period, including how much ordnance was expended. Here is an example from the first report:

D-l Mark 81 (250#) - 493
D-2 Mark 82 (500#) - 1847 
D-5 2.75" Rocket Pods - 339
D-7 LAU-I0A (Zuni) - 207
D-9 MK-77 (500# Nap) - 303
D-14 CBU-24 - 4
D-20 20mm - 1844 Rounds
D-26 750# GP - 239 

They used codes for weapon types as you can see all starting with D. After Action Reports are a bit more detailed giving crew names, a/c number and how many weapons were loaded (but not which stations). Click on any date, then click on the PDF icon to open it. Here is one example:

https://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/reports/images.php?img=/images/1201/1201098132.pdf

Jari

Thanks Jari!! Lots of great info there!! You can almost pick the day and mission for the specific aircraft your building and load it accurately . How it was loaded should be fairly easy to figure out. Could spend a lot of time looking over these pages, historically important.

Don

55 minutes ago, Finn said:

Download the file here:

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/search?q=ordnanceman

click on the slow, it is slow but it is free and in it shows how the Navy/Marines angled the MERs on the outboard pylons.

Jari

A lot to take in!! gives great info how the pylons were mounted, also their forward and aft positioning. They do show the mounting lugs and differences between the inboard and outboard pads to angle the racks. My build will carry the wing tanks, but this will be useful to other builders. 

Thanks again, Jari.

It's been a while since an update. Clear coated with Tamiya X-22 thinned with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, stuff works great, makes the room turn sideways without proper ventilation. Let it dry and applied the decals. The AOA decals worked ok, conformed, very thin. They were printed by Microscale. The stencils i used the kit ones, did conform but are a little thick. Finished most, will finish tomorrow.

Y8yMna.jpg

QGC4vk.jpg

Don

I honestly don't know!! I use two different paint cups, and I know how much of each to add judging by where the level is in the cups!! I had to look up other modellers experience and guesstimate by looking at the cups, I would guess 2 parts clear to one part thinner or possibly 50/50. I have to seal the decals today, i'll pay attention, use eyedroppers and give a better idea later. I spray this at 15-20 psi using ventilation. 

Don

Edited by dmthamade

So, 50/50 it is!!! Problem, though. The Tamiya decals wrinkled!! Not a lot, but enough to be REALLY ANNOYING!!! The AOA decals are un scathed. I think i'll let everything dry, then take sanding pads to it and hope i can clean it up. Darn!!

Don

It ended up the stencils on the wing leading edges were the only decals affected. I sanded and polished them, then resealed with X-22 thinned with the Tamiya thinner X-20A. All is good, now. I think what happened is the Mr.Color Leveling Thinner attacked the decals. I've used the X-22 with no problems for years, the only thing i changed was the thinner. I think it affects certain makes of decals, the AOA stuff was not affected. I've had this go bad on 3 other builds. I'll still use the Mr.Color stuff, but only to provide a gloss coat for decals. I'll use the X-22/X-20A to seal the decals from now on in. Lesson learnt.

Don

Progress!! Panel lines washed with Flory wash Dark Dirt. I then sealed everything with Tamiya XF-86 Clear Flat. Really isn't dead flat, more like semi gloss. Managed to get it on the gear, still a lot to do. Still have to do the Snakeyes, rocket tubes, Mk-77 nape, seats, exhaust cans...getting there.

ESaU02.jpg

1PM725.jpg

Don