Tamiya F-4J Marine VMFA-334

dmthamade

Hello all!! Haven't built an aircraft in a while, been doing cars or nothing. This is a build i started in the Multi Engine GB, didn't get any further than the intakes and removing the scab plates on the fuselage. Markings will be the AOA decals for a VMFA-334 Falcons bird during the Vietnam War. 

b9Muux.jpg

c83Bov.jpg

Everything on the board.

zTVOu7.jpg

Basic kit will be OOB with some added resin. Will add some AMS Resin Mk.77 fire bombs on the centerline x3 on a MER

oIuzQD.jpg

Snakeyes from Videoaviation x4 on the inboard pylons on TERs flat mounted

Z0QMyW.jpg

Some old seats from True Details? IIRC these may have been for USAF birds, will work for me

OXME7M.jpg

When i was planning this build i wanted to add LAU-33s on the inboard Sidewinder pylons. Had the launchers from the Trumpeter Crusader somewhere but couldn't find them. Scratch built two but then lost interest. Fast forward and i did find them. They do depict  loaded pods but the warheads look "off". will have to decide whether to use them, the unloaded scratch ones, or try to make some warheads.

aPUKGT.jpg

Might replace the burner cans with Revell parts, trying to not spend any more than i can avoid, will be a shelf sitter so i'm ok with the Revell cans. Always wanted to do a Marine F-4, this will be a Vietnam bird with a classic snake and nape loadout.

Don

Will follow along. I have the same kit, with pretty much the same intentions and load out, just a different Marine Squadron. It was the Zunis on the missile pylons that swayed me to do this one. Luckily enough I had the Trumpeter F-8 in the stash to raid for the rockets. 

9 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Will follow along. I have the same kit, with pretty much the same intentions and load out, just a different Marine Squadron. It was the Zunis on the missile pylons that swayed me to do this one. Luckily enough I had the Trumpeter F-8 in the stash to raid for the rockets. 

Have to say, the Zunis did it for me, too. They look like a field mod where someone said "hey!! lets try hanging these on, see whut happens". VMFA-235 was another choice, there were also a lot of squadrons with the B model out of Da Nang and Chu Lai.

Don

2 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Have to say, the Zunis did it for me, too. They look like a field mod where someone said "hey!! lets try hanging these on, see whut happens". VMFA-235 was another choice, there were also a lot of squadrons with the B model out of Da Nang and Chu Lai.

Don

VFMA-212 Lancers for me.

Ok, some progress. Have a bunch of parts glued together, not much, but it's a start.

nn55N2.jpg

Cockpits have always been my downfall. This one got basic paint, some minor detail painting. Have to admit, the colored knobs etc aren't exactly accurate.

QwfCby.jpg

DbB6Bq.jpg

Still much to do, but with the pit done i can close up the fuselage.

Don

A good start to your build. Yeah, I used to spend an inordinate amount of time on cockpits then I realized once the build is placed in the display case no one will ever see it, so I've gone your route.

Looking forward to the build.

Mike 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, some progress. Managed to get the main part assembled. Have to say, i've built 3-4 of these, they all build up nicely. The stabilators are supposed to be put in early in assembly. I always assemble these, then cut them apart. Trying to paint the metal parts would be a pita if done Tamiyas way. Also managed to get the tanks, pylons, weapons racks, flaps painted white. Tank tips were sprayed red. Just one pic as there really isn't much to see.

Fu454s.jpg

Will primer this tomorrow then apply color monday.

Don

Pics show another variant of warhead used:thumbsup:. Still debating whether to have weathered empty launchers, loaded launchers, one loaded/one empty...also shows the grime and dirt they accumulated, especially the inner surfaces of the gear doors. have found pics that show the doors and legs almost black from grime, guessing the pace of usage determines maintenance. I too enjoy the painting part, makes or breaks the build.

aJZf7w.jpg

FnK9cp.jpg

This one was a lot of work, ended up with a ball of masking tape a foot wide, worth it in the end. Have most of the color on it, will apply the black and Corogard today.

Don