1/32 Mirage F.1C

Renegade

Hi Guys,

Next step, the combat flaps.

The PLA filament broke up into so many pieces when I cut the combat flap out, that it was like a 3D puzzle to re assemble with lots of CA and filler... :frantic:

Sprayed some primer to do a quick mock up to check the drop angle and slat overlap.

Thanks for looking.

JsRS1zn.jpg

qveBRjV.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Renegade

Hi John

Just a heads up on the flap, slat config. The slats and LE flaps are not deployed by themselves on the ground unless the a/c is being tested. They are fully deployed with the trailing edge flaps and in the full flap setting. This is only seen on the ground in revetments or hangers. On flight lines all LE and TE are normally retracted to prevent dust in the mechanisms. The term Combat Flap was a mode in the air where the Slats / Flaps automatically move to the 1/2 flap position below 300 KIAS. If you need the angles of the flap/slats in various settings just shout.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for clearing that up, and it makes sense to protect the mechanisms from dust. It does look awesome when they are deployed though.

I do have the flap and slat setting from the manual. I still have to make the plate that covers the gap above the combat flap hinge when it pivots down.

Cheers,

John

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

Thanks for clearing that up, and it makes sense to protect the mechanisms from dust. It does look awesome when they are deployed though.

Good job John.

If you are going to deploy the flaps have a look at the trailing edge flap. They are double slotted and move a fair amount backwards to increase the area when deployed.

Cheers

Nick 

Hi Nick

If I am right ( but you are the expert ) the trailing edge flaps are rarely seen deployed on parked AC , they are extended on particular phases , as take off or landing right ????? :hmmm:.

Alain

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Dassault_Mirage_F1c_Walkaround_33-LA_French_Belgium_2015/content/Dassault_Mirage_F1c_Walkaround_33-LA_French_24_GraemeMolineux_large.html

just for fun , a video dedicated to our SA friends ;)

Edited by alain11

55 minutes ago, alain11 said:

just for fun , a video dedicated to our SA friends ;)

Great video, I've watched it many times. :wub:

44 minutes ago, rafju said:

Hi John @Renegade

Very good job, outstanding skills!

can't wait for the flaps when I see at what you did on slats!

raph

Thanks Raph, 

The flaps and ailerons share a complicated mechanism and housing that splits asymmetric. It's going to be a fun challenge. 

Cheers, 

John 

3 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Good job John.

If you are going to deploy the flaps have a look at the trailing edge flap. They are double slotted and move a fair amount backwards to increase the area when deployed.

Cheers

Nick 

Hi Nick, 

It is surprising how far they travel to back. Making the slots will be a delicate task, not to mention casting them eventually. 

Cheers, 

John 

6 hours ago, alain11 said:

Hi Nick

If I am right ( but you are the expert ) the trailing edge flaps are rarely seen deployed on parked AC , they are extended on particular phases , as take off or landing right ????? :hmmm:.

Hi Alain

Every operator most likely had their own rules on the extension of flaps on the ground. In the SAAF the flaps/slats were selected down after parking in revetments. On the outside flight lines the flaps were left retracted when parked. Looking at a few photos this seems to have been the general rule in most air forces operating the F1. As with most rules many exceptions can be seen , so a model would be good in any of the configs. On the ground is a bit of a generalization as flaps were selected down after start and retracted after turning off the runway, so while taxying the flaps could be up or down. 

Here is a photo with slats/flaps down parked on the ground.

F1-Revetment.jpg

Cheers

Nick

thanks for your explanations Nick !!! I was looking on the web for Mi F1 on the ground , among all the photos I 've seen , only a few , shows the flaps and slats extended , except on the AC taxing , or taking off ..so , if I understand , the rule , is that there are no rules :whistle: isn't it ........................

Alain

Edited by alain11

Hi Guys,

The flaps and aileron cut out. The flap slots were a pain to get the curves and angles. After some primer, I can see that I sanded away a little uneven on some spots, but will get it right. A quick mock up to see what they look like, but will get a better idea later when their brackets and rails are in place.

nfaQAfz.jpg

Cheers,

John