Revell A-400M

chrish

Thanks!

the only AM I could find is black dog engines, is there more?

what I’d have liked is a set of P&W engines and Canadian markings but it’s not in service here.... yet.

Thanks

I've gotten a bit done, by bit I mean the thing is almost building itself.

Although I have taken a bit of time to thin the exhaust outlets a little, three on the left are done the one on the right needs doing

Tw2VgA1.jpg

wing halves together, seam, such as it was sanded and made good. Excellent fit so far!

IBFv1A0.jpg

a bit of paint

62ttKYf.jpg

wheels masked and painted.

JbVs1Aq.jpg

4SCUIP7.jpg

Thanks

I agree it does look like a cross between a C-130 and C-17!

16 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Nice start, Chris!    So, is this thing bigger than a C-130?

Gazz, It's 1/72 and almost as big as my stretched body 1/48 CC-130J!!

I'd buy a 1/48 one in a heartbeat!!

8 hours ago, Iain said:

Living close to RAF Brize Norton we see these a lot - and it's quite a stellar performer when displayed.

Look forward to seeing this come together Chris!

Iain

Noisy bugger though. You can certainly hear it approaching down the valley when there’s one about. Frequently fly high over the house, again a distinct noise to it. See them do touch and go’s at Liverpool Airport a fair bit. The only thing turbo prop that’s noisier are the Antonovs An-12’s that do cargo runs in to Liverpool Airport. The A-400 is certainly not going to be creeping up on anyone to drop off it’s cargo. 

7 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Nice start, Chris!    So, is this thing bigger than a C-130?

Quite a bit bigger.

A few years ago after one of the central London flypasts they extended out to the west of London and turned near my house going off to Brize.

A C130 and one of these monsters in line astern and seeing the two together it was noticeable how much bigger the Atlas was.

In the "Mach Loop"

Edited by PhilB
adding vid

It's an impressive model with a real presence, the fit....is kind of hit and miss. Mostly good but with a couple of exceptions, the wing to fuselage isn't great, the fuselage cabin side windows protrude above the surface of the fuselage but the rest, so far has been good. 

I masked and painted the strips and interior, before deciding to close the cargo bay. It looks so much tidier all closed up

nkc7VCn.jpg 

The flight deck, I'm not sure what's going on with the color shift, my pics seem to have a violet or pink tint...

pqeYxqW.jpg

all closed up and seams being worked on.

85dGy8X.jpg

k7kvyjw.jpg

MBgj47b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nice work on this Chris. I built one of these many years ago and also found the wing root fit to be less than stellar. Its a big bird though huh? I've pondered getting a 1/144 version and making it jet powered instead. Maybe one day I will but it's great to see another one of these 72nd kits being built

Which scheme are you going for? I always thought the German one looks more interesting than a standard overall grey

Thanks for looking, not sure which  scheme yet... probably Luftwaffe.

I built up the engines and got myself a bit worked up because I accidentally wiped off the part numbers I had so carefully inked on to three of them. But careful deduction (got lucky) showed that two of the engines have a thick "armor" belt on one half, the half that faces the other engine so the two with "armor" must go inboard with the armor facing the outboard engine. 

The engine halves with "armor" at the top in this image, seams dealt with and ready to continue.

QfXcTYG.jpg