Image hosting

Astro32

Greetings!

I know it's an oft-discussed subject. Specifically, I need a good, easy to use, and hopefully free image hosting site, especially one that's Linux friendly since my laptop is based on that platform, but one that will work with my Android phone as well. I'll probably be splitting my time between my Canon and the camera in my phone.

Any and all advice and pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Imgur is the main free one, but I decided to go with a paid service after the Photobucket debacle (even though I had a paid account there, too). I figure a provider who only has paid accounts is less likely to repeat the stunt that PB pulled on us. I use ImageShack, too. I forget how much it is, but it's pretty cheap (maybe US$30 per year?). They're all web-based, so as long as your device OS supports modern browsers, they'll all work equally well (or poorly) on your Linux system.

Kev

I use Imageshack. Cheap - I no longer trust "free" apps.

It's quite basic, but it does not have an auto-upload app. They show such apps on their website, but they no longer exist. I get around that by syncing my Android photos with my Google account, then uploading photos I need to share onto Imageshack, from where I link them.

Bit of a fuss, but no big deal.

My tiny little addled brain forgot something.

I tend to use Flickr Pro more often than Imageshack now. What concerns me about Imageshack is that it feels and looks like a product in decline. The website links to apps that no longer exist, the customer service is literally non-existent - emails are never, ever replied to, the website is never updated, no new features & a general feeling that this site could disappear with very little notice.

Although £47 a year, I find Flickr far superior to Imageshack. It offers auto-uploads, which is pretty important to me, as I take 90% of my photos with a Samsung Android. This not only means it's just a simple click or two to share photos on this here website, it also means they are all automatically backed up, which means one less thing to worry about. It also offers really good stats, privacy is sound and the photo editing function good.

Flickr also has an excellent search facility. Type "aircraft" and search and it comes up with hundreds upon hundreds of photos. However, type "Spitfire" and it shows you many hundreds of Spitfire photos - and the odd car photo! You can also search, for example, "Spitfire Mk.IX" or "Spitfire Mk.XVI" and up pops exactly that, which is pretty impressive.

Flickr also lets you order prints very easily, from paper prints, canvas through to mugs and keyrings.