1/24 Airfix MkVb to LF MkIX

red Dog

Final report of a completed long haul conversion from a 1/24 Airfix Spitfire MkVb to a late LF MkIX

Started this one last July so about 8 months worth of bench time. This one really put my mojo to test and I'm glad it's over !!

I guess I now understand why we don't see too many late Mk Spitfires in 1/24 :)

but in the best tradition, I am now clearing Airfix (or anyone else) to release one  ...  

Full WIP is in the in progress forum

Spit_mkIX_24_210_finale.png

Spit_mkIX_24_211_finale.png

Spit_mkIX_24_212_finale.png

Spit_mkIX_24_213_finale.png

Spit_mkIX_24_214_finale.png

Spit_mkIX_24_215_finale.png

Spit_mkIX_24_216_finale.png

Spit_mkIX_24_217_finale.png

Spit_mkIX_24_220_finale.png

Spit_mkIX_24_221_finale.png

Spit_mkIX_24_222_finale.png

Spit_mkIX_24_219_finale.png

Thank you all LSpers for the support while building. I doubt this would have been completed without the forum :)

Excellent work! That thing fought you all the way but the result is absolutely gorgeous! 

It was a pleasure following the build and watching you overcome a lot of problems that were not your fault, and would have stopped a lot of other people. It's superb, and the finish and weathering just perfect. 

Richard

That is GORGEOUS. Following the WIP, it looks as if this fought you all the way - you can’t tell now she’s finished as it looks like a standard kit which is huge credit to your skills. 

I may be wrong, but I thought the longer nose Spits had more of a forward rake on the main gear legs to help address the extra weight forward. Not a criticism, just an observation and I’m curious in case my memory is playing tricks...

All the best,

Tom

36 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

I may be wrong, but I thought the longer nose Spits had more of a forward rake on the main gear legs to help address the extra weight forward. Not a criticism, just an observation and I’m curious in case my memory is playing tricks…

Nope, you're right.
It's a feature of the C wing, and Indeed most of the MkIX had that feature. But to be honest It's one I found out after initial assembly of the model's wings as I was reasearching the canon configuration. And even then I think I would probably have overlooked it on the principle that the small detail was not worth the huge hassle to rebuild to whole underwing section :)

Thank you all for your comments again. 

24 minutes ago, red Dog said:

Nope, you're right.
It's a feature of the C wing, and Indeed most of the MkIX had that feature. But to be honest It's one I found out after initial assembly of the model's wings as I was reasearching the canon configuration. And even then I think I would probably have overlooked it on the principle that the small detail was not worth the huge hassle to rebuild to whole underwing section :)

Thank you all for your comments again. 

Glad I’m not dreaming things! 

And totally understand your logic regarding the extra hassle - I don’t blame you! 

You really have done a beautiful job and given an old kit a real modern-standard makeover. It’s a stunner. 

All the best,

Tom