Stylus pad for drawing decals?

Ben Brown

I've been using Inkscape vector graphics software to draw my own decals on my PC. My skill level is to the point where I can draw data stencils and modify available svg files to suit my own needs, but I have several subjects that will need some custom stuff. I'll need to trace bitmaps and also draw some semi-complex shapes, like fuselage cheatlines that go around compound curves (airliner noses). 

I use a trackball mouse, but I'm wondering if adding an inexpensive stylus pad would be of any use for someone of my (still newbie) skill level. I'm not planning to do this professionally, I just want o be able to draw up some airliner and race car liveries that aren't available commercially. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ben,

a graphics tablet such as the Bamboo line by Wacom is mainly used for free-hand drawing. For tracing bitmaps and fuselage cheat lines you don't need a graphics tablet. A mouse will be fine. However, you need to be familiar with Bezier curves for what you have in mind.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann
Corrected typos

I have been drawing decals for fifteen years. During this time, I used all kinds of input devices, including ipads. For drawing vector lines, nothing beats a mouse. I use a trackball mouse now and I am very happy with it. I draw in Corel Draw and it comes with all the tools I need to draw vectors with a mouse. 

However, a drawing pad has a purpose when drawing profiles in bitmap, especially when doing mottles and wavy lines. For that I use a Wacom Graphire ET-0405 tablet that is more than 10 years old and still works perfectly and I like working with it too. 

A few years ago I bought a Yinova DP10U  LCD "digitiser tablet"  but I seldom use it and has been "in storage" for the last few years. :-) 

HTH 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

Thanks for the replies! I’ll stick with the trackball and skip the stylus pad, then. I think my biggest problem is just a lack of “stick time” with the program. You’d think with the current stay at home situation I’d have a lot more time to practice! :D

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

• 2 weeks later...