Jump to content
Crew Dog

First project on here (Kinetic 1/32 F/A-18C)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

After posting my WIP on another forum for a while, and realizing that forum isn't really for me and my style, I decided to come here where big birds are welcomed and encouraged. As you can tell from the title, this is going to be a daunting task, but I feel that at this point I'm up to the challenge. Granted, I've started this way back in September, so there will be a bit of catch up to get up to the point I'm currently at with the build, but I hope y'all enjoy the ride, I certainly am! As you can see here, the box is a big 'un.

 

48984351138_6bf945200f_c.jpg

 

And as per usual, work began at the front office, pics will follow in the next post

Edited by Crew Dog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks guys for the warm welcomes. @easixpedroI'm looking to do a lot 20 line jet from VFA-22 aboard the USS Carl Vinson (mainly because that's the only line livery I can find in our scale)

Edited by Crew Dog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, F`s are my favs said:

Hi & Welcome! Very nice model and plane... The new Top Gun would be an inspiration! :)

Maybe for when I do a SuperBug ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Crew Dog said:

Thanks guys for the warm welcomes. @easixpedroI'm looking to do a lot 20 line jet from VFA-22 aboard the USS Carl Vinson (mainly because that's the only line livery I can find in our scale)

Weird, last night I was just putting my B-17 project aside for a break, cleaning up my workspace thinking I'd really like to build my  Academy 1/32 in Chippy Ho markings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crew Dog said:

Thanks guys for the warm welcomes. @easixpedroI'm looking to do a lot 20 line jet from VFA-22 aboard the USS Carl Vinson (mainly because that's the only line livery I can find in our scale)

 

I love the VFA-22 markings, were the markings low viz? Whose decals will you be using? Very curious and can't wait for the first pics!!

 

24 minutes ago, chrish said:

Weird, last night I was just putting my B-17 project aside for a break, cleaning up my workspace thinking I'd really like to build my  Academy 1/32 in Chippy Ho markings.

 

Go for it, just go for it - one can never get wrong with a Hornet in such beautiful markings. I'm sure this build would turn out

at least as stunning as you B-17 diorama.

 

Lothar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crew Dog said:

Thanks guys for the warm welcomes. @easixpedroI'm looking to do a lot 20 line jet from VFA-22 aboard the USS Carl Vinson (mainly because that's the only line livery I can find in our scale)

Cool! My first cruise was with CVW-11 alongside them on the Chucky V. (Looooong time ago now.)  If you need good photos of their markings, I highly suggest Tony Holmes' "Super Carrier." He was onboard immediately after Desert Fox and he's got some great shots of the entire air wing.  


Here's the lone photo I have of a VFA-22 bird from the 98-99 cruise. It's in their 50th Anniversary markings.  I'm guessing you're using the CAM sheet with Xena Grauerholtz's jet?

Good luck, and share lots of photos!

Peter

VFA-22 CAG Bird

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

Cool! My first cruise was with CVW-11 alongside them on the Chucky V. (Looooong time ago now.)  If you need good photos of their markings, I highly suggest Tony Holmes' "Super Carrier." He was onboard immediately after Desert Fox and he's got some great shots of the entire air wing.  


Here's the lone photo I have of a VFA-22 bird from the 98-99 cruise. It's in their 50th Anniversary markings.  I'm guessing you're using the CAM sheet with Xena Grauerholtz's jet?

Good luck, and share lots of photos!

Peter

VFA-22 CAG Bird

 

 

Never knew they also had legacy Hornet in high viz markings. You learn something new and interesting every day!

Lothar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@easixpedro @LotharThey are indeed the CAM decals, the MODEX is 314 from 1999 (so you probably served with her, Pete.) Love the CAG bird pic too, would make for an excellent desktop wallpaper ;) I will definitely take your advice on looking up the "Super Carrier" too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As promised/requested, here are some pics of the front office. It's currently all sealed up in the front fuselage, and I used Aires late cockpit and gear bays. I'm throwing a lot of AM at her, because while all reviews I've read on this model say it's one of the best 1/32 out there, I want this one to be the best one I've ever done. AM list includes: Aires pit, gear bays and closed nozzles; True Details wheel and tire assemblies; DMold seamless intakes and corrected spine; Eduard GBU-12; CAM AGM-65 (unless North Star restocks); Zactoman's AIM-9M; and videoaviation GBU-38's. I'm planning on doing a "double ugly" configuration, as that would've been the most common loadout for the timeframe I'm trying to model. Anyway, enjoy the pics and thanks for stopping by the hangar!

 

48984412418_3d66779c5d_c.jpg

 

48985165542_a921426744_c.jpg

 

49022917748_418bb89c69_c.jpg

 

49193420403_51fa5184d7_c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that's a lot of aftermarket to deal with. But I'll follow this build with interest, excellent 

what I can see so far :thumbsup:

Lothar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...