First project on here (Kinetic 1/32 F/A-18C)

Crew Dog

@Out2gtcha My recommendation came from someone who built the bug with the kit-supplied main legs, and since the supports are just thin white metal rods encased by the plastic, she ended up kneeling worse than a C-5 (that and I wanted the knuckles to be empty space as they're supposed to be rather than have rods sticking through them, but now I'm just being pedantic :P .) I actually had a bit of a tough time scouring them out, so maybe I won the lottery and got a set with a higher tin ratio. As of now, they don't seem to want to flex for me. I did try to hunt down a set of G Factor's (since @chuck540z3 used them on his CF-18 and that thing turned out amazingly) but not even the 'bay had any.

Cool, maybe they changed their formula.   I had nearly the same experience when I attached those TBM gear, thought they were a lot stouter when I put them in, but in 6 months it was all over but the crying.

Heres to hoping these work out!   Especially if the OOB gear tend to collapse! 

Really nice work going on here!

5 hours ago, Crew Dog said:

@Out2gtcha My recommendation came from someone who built the bug with the kit-supplied main legs, and since the supports are just thin white metal rods encased by the plastic, she ended up kneeling worse than a C-5 (that and I wanted the knuckles to be empty space as they're supposed to be rather than have rods sticking through them, but now I'm just being pedantic :P .) I actually had a bit of a tough time scouring them out, so maybe I won the lottery and got a set with a higher tin ratio. As of now, they don't seem to want to flex for me. I did try to hunt down a set of G Factor's (since @chuck540z3 used them on his CF-18 and that thing turned out amazingly) but not even the 'bay had any.

I have a theory on the kit legs and I'm pretty sure I'm right, which I will use on my next Hornet.  My first first Hornet sagged like most, so I used the G Factor brass legs for my second Hornet as indicated, but they are a pain to clean up, expensive and paint doesn't like to stick to them.  The reason the kit legs sag is that the metal rod inside the legs is thin and weak, but more importantly it slides within after assembly and over time sags.  If you can stop the rod from sliding, the leg shouldn't sag, so before you glue the two plastic leg halves together, the central rod should be glued first within the leg with CA glue, creating a solid mass.

I haven't tried this yet, but I am 90% certain that it will work and the plastic parts are so much easier to work with.

Cheers,

Chuck

While the fuselage sections were doing their thing, I moved on to the other major surgery for the kit: cutting the wings to fold them. For the most part, it was a straightforward process, minus the jagged bits on the upper trailing edge, but the plastic was soft enough to repeatedly score the cuts true. Luckily, and a testament to this kits design, once the main parts of the wings were assembled, the flapperons lined up perfectly and flap hinges went on without major adjustment.

48990416277_7ff45bb71f_c.jpg

However, as this will be representing a jet that has just been brought up on the elevator from the hangar deck and handed over to the ordies for arming, the main flaps will be dropped. That's where my first "uh-oh" moment happened. During installation of the flap tracks, Murphy reared his ugly head and flung one of the outer tracks into the nether, never to be seen again. Obligatory panic searching ensued, to no luck. But, I did find numerous shavings from cutting out the main bays, so I said "I can make my own track with these." So, after numerous trims and test fits, a "scratchbuilt" flap track has been installed. From what I know on KC-135's (the jet I worked when I was in the USAF,) it is definitely a passable representation of the track, but of course I will leave that for y'all to determine.

This pic shows the original tracks

49658727922_e1abc66d44_c.jpg

And this is my homemade one

49658452366_648d946f51_c.jpg

And with that, we are now caught up to my current position on the bug. Next step, after I order the Aires closed burner cans and Ammo by MiG jet exhaust paint set, will be to do the engines, add D Mold's seamless intakes, and close up the rear fuselage. Anyway, thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Edited by Crew Dog

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the huge delay, but due to the current circumstances, Iv'e been working a lot more (I currently work on a US Air Force base dealing with transient jets.) As such, I haven't been able to devote as much time to the bug as it deserves.But I have been able to get parts here and there as shipping and supplies allow. I was able to snag a set of DMold's intakes, and they look phenomenal, at least outside the kit.

49912238497_3f1df8cded_c.jpg

I also picked up the corrected spine from DMold, and it seems to be a bit fatter than the kit part, be it ever so slightly

49911423778_3f380f0140_c.jpg

49912254487_bb158c8c0a_c.jpg

But, the burner cans are also in, removed from the casting blocks and ready for the paint barn. The instructions are exceedingly sparse, dealing only with what's supplied from Aires and no mention of where to cut on the kit engines to fit the new exhaust sections. So, as they say, measure twice and cut once!

49912225827_cc086ddb2d_c.jpg

49911929186_a061603114_c.jpg

I should be able to get the primer coat down today on the cans, and spray them tomorrow before work. Anyway, thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Edited by Crew Dog

As I promised myself, the exhaust section has been through paint barn the past two days. Gave all the shown parts a black primer yesterday, then shot Steel from MiG's jet exhaust set this morning.

49917071433_6c8185038b_c.jpg

I then gave the burner section a treatment of jet exhaust burnt iron from the same set to show the discoloration and fouling from the augmenter.

49917071408_81f20df1f7_c.jpg

49917085433_333c105599_c.jpg

Next up is the nozzles themselves, which are luckily in separate pieces for the inner and outer petals. The outer will get an overall coat of gunmetal from the same set, as all the reference photos I've seen show a pretty uniform coloring. The inner I'm still debating on whether to do a base coat of white then grime 'em up, or go down the Citadel route and use a bone color and their contrasts to simulate the ceramic panels. Once I've decided on that, the PE flame rings will get the same treatment, as it looks like there's ceramic on them as well. As always, thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Edited by Crew Dog

Work has been continuing on the engine bays as and when I have time, and now both intakes with the spinners are installed. The rear fuselage is now assembled, and waiting for the glue to cure.

49937664236_362c9962f2_c.jpg

49937149918_96bc046af2_c.jpg

49937968582_0d5e47fc40_c.jpg

However, during the dry fitting for the side sections for the rear fuselage, I noticed another fit issue. This time it is both at the area just behind the main bay:

49937973617_146af126e8_c.jpg

and around the countermeasure buckets (which will hopefully be covered with Wolfpack's CM dispensers)

49937669341_cc77a15641_c.jpg

I will of course defer guidance to the bug master himself, @chuck540z3 or anyone else that has used the Aires bays on this kit with success. In any case, thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Edited by Crew Dog

Problem solved (I think!) I ended up carefully breaking off the intakes from the main bays to make them free float while I mess with various fitments. I tried pushing the intakes further forward, expanding the rear fuselage vertically:

49951136761_c51c9b7a96_c.jpg

And whaddayaknow, the fit issue has disappeared, at least for the area behind the main bays:

49951431552_cd0bdcefe1_c.jpg

The forward intake area now has a huge separation, but that should be solved when I push the intakes further back after sending the cowlings to the paint barn and attach them to the rest of the intake assemblies. Thanks, as always, for stopping by the hangar!

Edited by Crew Dog

Time for another update. Got my paint set in yesterday, so the cowlings were sprayed with primer before I went to work, then given a coat of FS36375 Lt Compass Ghost Grey. I tried to randomize the paint intensity to mimic the patchiness of a Bug's paint, and am reasonably happy with the result.

49973102747_a406b50c3a_c.jpg

I was a bit worried when I first sprayed the cowlings, what with the color looking very light, even over black primer. But once I attached them to the rest of the intakes, those fears quickly went away and, at least to me, it looks right.

49972322393_467fc4baef_c.jpg

49972842021_e761fc11cf_c.jpg

So, I will say once again, I am extremely happy with MiG paints, and think I have found my new go-to paint brand! I will now let the glue set during the day, and probably also tonight, and attempt to attach the side walls tomorrow. Hope you are still enjoying the build, I know I am. Thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Edited by Crew Dog

Another small update, but from a good bit of work. The side walls are now on, and my estimation of expanding the rear fuselage worked!

49976824082_9abccc8bbc_c.jpg

49976824077_5973ae75ae_c.jpg

49976045353_49271ff86a_c.jpg

The flap fairings on the side walls did need a bit of convincing, as did the forward section between the countermeasure buckets and cowlings. Additionally, the standoffs have been attached to the cowling flaps.

49976559516_5521ba78a8_c.jpg

Next step: seat the intakes (I can already see the cowling to body fairings are going to need putty) and attach the forward fuselage. Y'all enjoy your weekend, and thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Edited by Crew Dog

I've been continuing on the intake section, with setting the cowlings and puttying the gaps left. I've also had to convince the main gear wheel mounts to be perpendicular to the direction of travel, as they canted inward during install, as I'm sure most of you have noticed. I was originally going to file down the lands to the correct angle, but with my good luck of getting more rigid gear came a bit of a struggle sanding them, so I took my trusty pliers and gave them a very "crew chief" solution, basically gently correcting them to proper alignment.

49997540181_9f6cbd638b_c.jpg

49997791847_32485e3a75_c.jpg

I then moved up to the spine, and while it is a marked improvement over the kit offering, it needed a bit of blending to make all the surfaces flush.

49997540016_d16b7afb53_c.jpg

49997791902_cf0e73bb1f_c.jpg

Next came the LERX, and did the right one ever need convincing! I'm sure most of you will notice that the curve on it is far more pronounced now, but it sits far more flush against the fuselage.

49994525171_e88f9febf7_c.jpg

49994007428_fa882e0af4_c.jpg

Next step for me is to attach the left LERX, matching the curve put on the right, fill in the remaining gaps, then off to paint barn! As always, thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Edited by Crew Dog

The second LERX has been attached, and it looks like the curves match. I was able to shim the left one, making the rear of the LERX match the rear fuselage.

50015804687_40376cd8fd_c.jpg

50015013553_3213dd4df3_c.jpg

I also puttied the lower nose section due to major gaps I saw just forward of the gear bay

50015540561_f3d3187f8a_c.jpg

The order for my CM dispensers, slime lights, HUD glass and targeting pod/LST pod lenses have shipped, so I expect them sometime next week. I also am changing my livery, as @Piero is doing the same squadron that I was planning on. Rather than steal his thunder or have competing birds from the same squadron, I decided that I'll go with something at least I haven't seen done very much if at all: a CO jet. I found a set of Two Bob's decals for VFA-94, and they have both the CAG jet and the CO paint scheme, so I'll still be able to do one that would be dirty, but with a little bit of flash. As Always, thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Edited by Crew Dog