First project on here (Kinetic 1/32 F/A-18C)

Crew Dog

12 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Wow, that's a lot of aftermarket to deal with. But I'll follow this build with interest, excellent 

what I can see so far :thumbsup:

Lothar

I tend to go AM happy on all my models, and many get at least a new pit. I did go a bit overboard on my Revell MiG-29A that the General happened to find for me (including possibly the last CAM pit for it.) I recommend if anyone can still grab this old kit, get the Zactoman correction kit, really brings it to life

5 minutes ago, mozart said:

Can’t begin to imagine which forum you are unhappy with, probably the same one as me, but welcome to the best and friendliest forum there is where all modellers are appreciated! 

Judging by your location, I think your assumptions are correct, sir. Not a lot of fans of big scale there. And from what I've seen so far, this one is indeed more welcoming, thanks guys!

14 minutes ago, mozart said:

Can’t begin to imagine which forum you are unhappy with, probably the same one as me, but welcome to the best and friendliest forum there is where all modellers are appreciated! 

I think I know what forum you mean and I have to agree Max. LSP has become the place to go to for me for all questions etc.

Lothar

Do they? Might have to give them a look, since from what I've seen, the North Star ones are the only ones that go sufficiently deep at the rocket motor

Edit: Just had a look, thanks for the suggestion @markiii, also, just found Eduard has released 1/32 Mav's

Edited by Crew Dog

12 minutes ago, Crew Dog said:

Do they? Might have to give them a look, since from what I've seen, the North Star ones are the only ones that go sufficiently deep at the rocket motor

Edit: Just had a look, thanks for the suggestion @markiii, also, just found Eduard has released 1/32 Mav's

They have? Didn't see that.

Good to know. Thanks

Main difference I see right off the bat is the ResKit ones have the seeker head covers (copy of North Star?) where Eduard doesn't. Also, Eduard's fins are molded on, while Res Kit's are separate, and the Eduard seeker is three pieces while Res Kit is molded in. Maybe get the Eduard for the bug and the Res Kit for when I get my AV-8B/NA

Edited by Crew Dog

My next step was to tackle the gear bays, and on the recommendation of another modeler, I sprung for SAC's mains. The nose bay was pretty straight forward, with only modification to the cockpit tub required to get the two to play nice (as seen in my previous pictures.) The major undertaking was cutting out the area for the mains, which while I'm a bit more confident on doing such major surgery thanks to my Revell MiG-29, I was still extremely nervous to remove such a large section. But, slow and steady always wins the race.

49018495127_ea18e1f0d6_c.jpg

After numerous dry fittings, I felt the mains were at the correct position and attached them to the lower rear fuselage, as well as sealed up the forward section and finished up the turtle deck.

49022923498_3e839ff94f_c.jpg

49136336368_1ccabf9169_c.jpg

49136825771_f27cec2765_c.jpg

49703244383_a50451a810_c.jpg

49704090667_e4b4c130fb_c.jpg

49703244583_cb0ca56c46_c.jpg

As you can see here, I've also added a bit of wire to simulate the hydro line going to the drag strut on the nose gear

49703244388_df4d04e8e2_c.jpg

While waiting for other bits to set/dry, I went ahead and worked on the bang seat and wheel and tire assemblies. I have to admit, looking at my previous models, I'm definitely getting more confident in my skills!

49703774986_8569bf7dbd_c.jpg

49703289603_d18acbbfaf_c.jpg

Sorry for the photo dump, but I'm actually really excited for this project. Anyway, hope you enjoy and thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Edited by Crew Dog

Wow, those gear bays look really excellent! The detail in the bays and on the wheels really pops

4 hours ago, Crew Dog said:

My next step was to tackle the gear bays, and on the recommendation of another modeler, I sprung for SAC's mains

That would be the only thing I would worry about personally. The SAC stuff is made from what normally is a pot-metal like metal that bends out of shape, (at least from every single experience I've had with trying to use them) usually a lot easier and faster than the OOB gear. I build a TBM Avenger for a commission client a few years ago, and he told me he had to block up the wings as he had the Avenger displayed in his glass cabinet and after 6 months or more, the gear had splayed out enough to let the poor old Avenger rest on her belly.

You can normally grab most any SAC set of gear and easily bend them into a pretzel.

This is especially true when you have cantilever gear like the Bug does. If I were you I would seriously reconsider adding those as you might be regretting it later. Ive not built the Academy Hornet and have no idea how stout the OOB gear are, but I might think about using those, or IF you can find some, use the G Factor F-18 set.