First project on here (Kinetic 1/32 F/A-18C)

Crew Dog

After posting my WIP on another forum for a while, and realizing that forum isn't really for me and my style, I decided to come here where big birds are welcomed and encouraged. As you can tell from the title, this is going to be a daunting task, but I feel that at this point I'm up to the challenge. Granted, I've started this way back in September, so there will be a bit of catch up to get up to the point I'm currently at with the build, but I hope y'all enjoy the ride, I certainly am! As you can see here, the box is a big 'un.

48984351138_6bf945200f_c.jpg

And as per usual, work began at the front office, pics will follow in the next post

Edited by Crew Dog

41 minutes ago, Crew Dog said:

Thanks guys for the warm welcomes. @easixpedroI'm looking to do a lot 20 line jet from VFA-22 aboard the USS Carl Vinson (mainly because that's the only line livery I can find in our scale)

Weird, last night I was just putting my B-17 project aside for a break, cleaning up my workspace thinking I'd really like to build my  Academy 1/32 in Chippy Ho markings.

1 hour ago, Crew Dog said:

Thanks guys for the warm welcomes. @easixpedroI'm looking to do a lot 20 line jet from VFA-22 aboard the USS Carl Vinson (mainly because that's the only line livery I can find in our scale)

I love the VFA-22 markings, were the markings low viz? Whose decals will you be using? Very curious and can't wait for the first pics!!

24 minutes ago, chrish said:

Weird, last night I was just putting my B-17 project aside for a break, cleaning up my workspace thinking I'd really like to build my  Academy 1/32 in Chippy Ho markings.

Go for it, just go for it - one can never get wrong with a Hornet in such beautiful markings. I'm sure this build would turn out

at least as stunning as you B-17 diorama.

Lothar

1 hour ago, Crew Dog said:

Cool! My first cruise was with CVW-11 alongside them on the Chucky V. (Looooong time ago now.)  If you need good photos of their markings, I highly suggest Tony Holmes' "Super Carrier." He was onboard immediately after Desert Fox and he's got some great shots of the entire air wing.  

Here's the lone photo I have of a VFA-22 bird from the 98-99 cruise. It's in their 50th Anniversary markings.  I'm guessing you're using the CAM sheet with Xena Grauerholtz's jet?

Good luck, and share lots of photos!

Peter

VFA-22 CAG Bird

4 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

Cool! My first cruise was with CVW-11 alongside them on the Chucky V. (Looooong time ago now.)  If you need good photos of their markings, I highly suggest Tony Holmes' "Super Carrier." He was onboard immediately after Desert Fox and he's got some great shots of the entire air wing.  

Here's the lone photo I have of a VFA-22 bird from the 98-99 cruise. It's in their 50th Anniversary markings.  I'm guessing you're using the CAM sheet with Xena Grauerholtz's jet?

Good luck, and share lots of photos!

Peter

VFA-22 CAG Bird

Never knew they also had legacy Hornet in high viz markings. You learn something new and interesting every day!

Lothar

As promised/requested, here are some pics of the front office. It's currently all sealed up in the front fuselage, and I used Aires late cockpit and gear bays. I'm throwing a lot of AM at her, because while all reviews I've read on this model say it's one of the best 1/32 out there, I want this one to be the best one I've ever done. AM list includes: Aires pit, gear bays and closed nozzles; True Details wheel and tire assemblies; DMold seamless intakes and corrected spine; Eduard GBU-12; CAM AGM-65 (unless North Star restocks); Zactoman's AIM-9M; and videoaviation GBU-38's. I'm planning on doing a "double ugly" configuration, as that would've been the most common loadout for the timeframe I'm trying to model. Anyway, enjoy the pics and thanks for stopping by the hangar!

48984412418_3d66779c5d_c.jpg

48985165542_a921426744_c.jpg

49022917748_418bb89c69_c.jpg

49193420403_51fa5184d7_c.jpg