Komet camo

Greetings!

Regarding the Me-163B, with all the late war craziness that was happening, has there been any consensus of late with the late defensive camo schemes? From the very few color photos I've seen, it looks to me like the topside colors were Dark Green / Brown, but the underside or fuselage side colors weren't 76 Light Blue but a very pale grey, much like the Me-262 was painted. I know by that time component painting as part of the camouflage pattern was taking effect too. 

Any ideas folks?

Hope this helps:

Oberflächenschutzliste 8 Os 163B?

This document has so far remained undiscovered but no doubt was drawn up and issued for this aircraft. What the colours could have been listed is not certain, but it is probable that they were 74/75/76, the then current fighter camouflage colours. It is known that the first Me 163Bs were received by Operational Test Detachment (Erprobungskommando) Ekdo.16 on December 24th and 31st, 1943 (Spaete, 1989, pp.197). Following a working-up period, I./JG 400 was formed on May 1, 1944, though deliveries were very slow to the unit, with only a single aircraft received in May, three in June and twelve in July. Series production of the Me 163B is likely to have been initiated in April 1944 (Spaete, ibid., p.217).

COMMENT: The slow production and delivery of the Me 163B resulted in it wearing a variety of camouflage colours from the time of the first deliveries (December 1943) to the cessation of production (February 1945). It is known from the many published photos and other documentation that most of Ekdo.16's aircraft were Me 163 BVs (V: "Versuchs", or test/experimental) and many were uncamouflaged, being painted in either RLM 02, or more likely, RLM 76. Other aircraft are known to have had very dark, low contrast upper wing colours, which do not suggest the 74/75 greys, but more likely the 70/71 greens. Their fuselages are interpreted as being painted in 76 with a mottle of 75.

The well-photographed aircraft "White 05" is thought to be a Me 163 BV variant, as it and other similarly painted Ekdo.16 aircraft appear to be missing their Werknummern. However, photos indicate that all V-aircraft did at one time have their Versuchsnummer painted on the tail in black, but given the dark colour of these aircraft's tails could be difficult to see. Alternatively, if the aircraft were delivered directly to the unit initially in overall 65 and soon in 76, the number could easily have been over-painted at the unit level when the camouflage colours were applied.

As Me 163 production slowly increased, aircraft with moderate-contrast schemes suggestive of 74/75/76 begin to appear. Aircraft with such schemes (or variations) have been documented during the restoration of these aircraft and faithfully reproduced (Merrick and Hitchcock, 1980, pp.48-49). There is also colour photographic evidence of Me 163s painted in the 81/83 scheme (Merrick and Hitchcock, 1980, p.50; Sheflin, 1983, pp.18-19). What is unknown is when this change-over to the late-war colours took place and if it was officially documented. The date of this change could not have been any later than February 1945, as production of the aircraft ceased during this month with a total of 364 aircraft completed and delivered to Ekdo.16, I. II. and IV./JG 400 and IV./EJG 1 (Smith and Kay, 1972). It is thought likely that an order authorizing this change must have been issued sometime in late 1944-early 1945.

Link: http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/luftcamdb_3.htm

Try and find info on the Me 163 in Australia. Until it was repainted in the eighties it carried a well preserved original finish. There is a color photo in the original cammo in “Planes of the Luftwaffe Fighter Aces Vol2” by Barbas pg 144.

Edited by Cheetah11
Spelling

4 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Try and find info on the Me 163 in Australia. Until it was repainted in the eighties it carried a well preserved original finish.

Whoever was responsible for that repaint should be pimp-slapped and soundly for that. Idiot.

6 hours ago, RBrown said:

Here is a link for the Australian War memorial Me 163, there are several photos of the machine in its original finish. Me 163

What an awesome set of pics.  So rare to see modern color pics of original Luftwaffe paintjobs.   I think the only other one I've seen is that crazy looking 109G-6 owned by the same museum.

The Komet in Australia has been repainted twice. It's first repaint can be seen in the TV series Wings which I haven't seen in years! The first attempt seen in that episode looks like some of the horrible caricature paint jobs that Axis aircraft received after the war, reminiscent of those seen at the Pax River outdoor park, etc. A more accurate scheme was later applied. What they obviously need to do is carefully work their way down to the original finish and preserve it. Maybe one day they will.