LSP_Ray

I think I am offended...

My life loves to watch British TV, so we subscribed to Acorn TV. She especially likes the Brit murder mysteries and some of the comedies. So she started in on Mount Pleasant. Wouldn't you know one of the weirder neighbors who is married to a love-starved woman turns out to be a modeler. All he thinks about is modeling in his little shed. She manages to get his attention when she buys him an Airfix 1/24th Harrier. Next shows them both happy in the bedroom, him with a big grin as he stares at his Harrier hanging from the ceiling over the bed.

They kill him off though when he has a problem flying his RC F-117. It ends up crashing into his face.

Not right, I say.

Take heart from knowing that ‘love starved’ is a human condition used by writers juxtaposed with <fill in the opposite condition>.  Darn uncreative if you ask me.   He has a problem flying his RC plane or did someone kill him off while sharing his frequency?  It is a Murder mystery. 

So... what did your wife say to you?  Was this essentially a parable?

Rick

2 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Take heart from knowing that ‘love starved’ is a human condition used by writers juxtaposed with <fill in the opposite condition>.  Darn uncreative if you ask me.   He has a problem flying his RC plane or did someone kill him off while sharing his frequency?  It is a Murder mystery. 

So... what did your wife say to you?  Was this essentially a parable?

Rick

When I complained, she said it seemed pretty realistic to her!

My only RC stuff is armor. Slow enough I can dodge them. :)

11 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

My life loves to watch British TV,

So do I. Have since the early '90s when they started showing up here in the U.S. then they went away.

Now I watch Britcom on Amazon Prime which has abuncha my old faves.

British TV ... the best old chap

qsxWLGU.jpg

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

So do I. Have since the early '90s when they started showing up here in the U.S. then they went away.

Now I watch Britcom on Amazon Prime which has abuncha my old faves.

British TV ... the best old chap

qsxWLGU.jpg

Same actor, same sentiment - with an aeroplane!

51j1ccG2AFL._AC_.jpg

Richard

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

Same actor, same sentiment - with an aeroplane!

51j1ccG2AFL._AC_.jpg

Richard

Isn't that a screenshot from the movie:  THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES???

Great picture!!!

31 minutes ago, Jack said:

Isn't that a screenshot from the movie:  THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES???

Great picture!!!

It certainly is. Terry Thomas as Sir Percy Ware-Armitage (Armitage Ware used to be found written of lavatory pans)

And the AVRO IV Triplane replica built for the film which is now in the Shuttleworth collection:

Avro_Triplane_repro.jpg

Richard

47 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

I wonder how much money was lost there...1/2 scale!?!

Lots. Some of those larger turbo jet engines are worth 5 - 10k alone. He could have had 10k - 50k in that thing depending.

2 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Wow!  The ending just makes your chin drop.  Just goes to my (new) motto:  If you want to throw it away, put a motor in it.

True: when I was about 11 I did a free-flying balsa-and-tissue rubber band powered aeroplane, and it met a similar fate.  At that moment I decided to stick to our sort of model aircraft.

You have to feel for the owner.

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

True: when I was about 11 I did a free-flying balsa-and-tissue rubber band powered aeroplane, and it met a similar fate.  At that moment I decided to stick to our sort of model aircraft.

You have to feel for the owner.

I have built a couple of balsa and tissue rubber band planes and never built up the nerve to fly them

Richard