1/32 F-4B

SimonCornes

That is one hell of an impressive F-4 Peter!! Must have been fun extending all of the gear legs!! And what kind of super alloy are you using to attach the aeroplane to the board?!!

Simon

1 hour ago, SimonCornes said:

That is one hell of an impressive F-4 Peter!! Must have been fun extending all of the gear legs!! And what kind of super alloy are you using to attach the aeroplane to the board?!!

Simon

Thanks!

Here's some crappy photos I took back in the day (prior to really learning how to take detailed build photos to share). It's essentially a steel rod that I filed to the shape of the Tailhook and then inserted into the Tamiya bits. There's corresponding tubes that are JB Welded into the fuselage and base.  And from what I remember of the build, the landing gear was THE most annoying part of the entire build! The steel also took some time to file down, even with a BAF (Big A.. File)

Peter

DCP_4100

DCP_4184

DCP_4180

So, I think I’ve lined up a ‘J’ at a decent price but I have a question about stabs. Is producing an unslatted stab from a slatted  one simply a matter of filing/sanding the slat detail off? Is the chord of an unslatted stab the same as a slatted on or is it shorter? I know, I could check by comparing with my C/D kit but that may mean excavating into the stash!! I thought I’d ask - maybe an easy answer?

Thank you 

3 hours ago, SimonCornes said:

So, I think I’ve lined up a ‘J’ at a decent price but I have a question about stabs. Is producing an unslatted stab from a slatted  one simply a matter of filing/sanding the slat detail off? Is the chord of an unslatted stab the same as a slatted on or is it shorter? I know, I could check by comparing with my C/D kit but that may mean excavating into the stash!! I thought I’d ask - maybe an easy answer?

Thank you 

Yes, if you need to remove it. IIRC from Block 26 or so F-4Bs had the inboard BLC wing flap fixed and inverted slotted stabilators added, à la F-4J. This combo was then retrofitted onto surviving earlier F-4Bs.

Inverted slot stip and attachment points was added to the vanilla version. So grind orf if not required.

If your F-4B subject is pre-1967 you're probably safe; if later, check whatever photos you can lay your hands on.

HTH

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
clarity

Thanks Tony, I didn’t know that. There’s always a ‘Yes, but’ !!! 
I have the VF-111 CAM sheet so I’m not sure exactly what date that is. In fact I have 2 of this sheet, I bought one today without checking my decal spreadsheet. Doh!!