Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII

NGBZ

Thanks guys :)

So, fuselage halves are joined together and the cockpit is now enclosed - you can still see enough detail to make the extra work worthwhile...

nCnEuqj.jpgR34STT1.jpg

Tail surfaces are then fitted. Interesting that Tamiya have you remove the actuator rod from the rudder mount (Part B28) in step 16, yet it is clearly still shown in place in step 21??? I opted to remove it on mine and replace it with brass rod as I also drilled out the fairing and needed the rod to extend into the new opening...

xDY8OUq.jpg

Then it's onto the wings....

c6SUSIu.jpg880UmlH.jpg

Undercarriage leg mounts aren't realtistic as function takes precedence over accuracy with the Tamiya kit here. 

The underside light reflectors are painted chrome using a chrome pen purchased from an art supply shop. Gives a perfect 'actual' chrome finish...

ozyoLZC.jpg

Gary

Sorry for  the poor pics..

iQa80Io.jpg

Can you spot what's missing?

I expect that all of us, at some stage, have become victim to the dreaded carpet monster. That miniscule piece that leapt into oblivion when cutting from the sprue or spinning off into the void during a little light sanding. But I can't say I've ever had anything go missing from the interior of something I'm in the progress of building :wacko: I have absolutely no idea how, when, where or why the throttle assembly went AWOL. It was meant to be secured with CA glue (resin part) but I obviously didn't fix it securely enough......

So, that leaves me with 3 options.

1.  Use the kit part
  2.  Use another from Barracuda which is slightly different
  3. Modify the above option

TBH, 1 isn't much of an option and the basic look will stand out against everything else I've done. 

2 involves adding a whole new gunsight with assosciated boxes and wiring. Great option with the cockpit enclosed - not :mental:

3 is the easiest as it simply involves removing a little bit of resin where the Bowden cables would attach to the trottle twist grip.

So, which option am I choosing? Yep, you guessed it....

QGkXanh.jpg

Why on earth would I pick an easy option. After all, so far, most of the extra detailing etc has been added after I've done most of the work :BANGHEAD2:

Gary

Thanks Michael. Frustrating, but nothing that can't be overcome....

So, The Ferranti Gyro Sight Mk.II with control box and dimmer switch with .010 lead wire for the cabling. Gunsight is inverted here to prove that I did put a cable in there as it'll never ever be seen once fitted to the cockpit so there is definative proof it's there ok :fight:

76PLD2G.jpg

A lick of paint later....

MQd2LA3.jpg

The shade is the original PE part from the kit. The 'glass' is acetate sheet cut to size. 

jBb3KkP.jpg021gtr3.jpg

The two circular projectors on the top were first painted with a chrome pen and then a couple of blobs of Tamiya Smoke were applied to act as lenses. There are decals supplied for the control settings but no data placard on the side so this was hand painted with silver paint and a very fine brush.

Also, I've seen some images with 'NO HOLD" stenclled on top of the shade so decided to replicate this. I had nothing suitable to hand, so cut individual letters from a spare decal sheet. No idea if it's correct for this year of plane or if it's the correct size, but looks cool B)

wU6lOBV.jpg

Will start tackling the throttle assembly tomorrow as my eyes are starting to ache :blink:

Gary

Edited by NGBZ