Trumpy vs. Revell Wildcat

Astro32

9 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

None of the original flawed kits ever made it to the U.S., so if you bought it there, it will be the re-tooled version.

Kev

Well, I have one of flawed kits. Got it off eBay or online, I am not sure which, so some are definitely out there.

I was thinking it might be interesting kit-bashing the two to make a F4f-4, as the Trumpy has dimples for rivets whilst the Revell kit has the correct protruding rivets which are quite obvious on the fuselage for one.

2 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Well, I have one of flawed kits. Got it off eBay or online, I am not sure which, so some are definitely out there.

Interesting! It was Stevens International - Trumpeter's U.S. importer and distributor at the time - who refused to bring the kit into America until the flaws had been addressed.

Kev

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

Yeah, I remember that. I doubt I got it through their pipeline. Using it for spare parts for my own FM-2 conversion. Let me know if you need parts.

Thanks, Ray. I've got a box of Revell Wildcats that equates to roughly 4-and-a-bit kits, so I should be OK. But I'll call on you if I need to. I'm pretty sure I even bought the correct Vector (or Quickboost?) engine in anticipation.

Kev

15 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

None of the original flawed kits ever made it to the U.S., so if you bought it there, it will be the re-tooled version.

Kev

I had one that I bought from Hobby Link Japan. I had to have one; the Wildcat being one of my favorites. That was the last time I was “first mouse to the cheese”.  Hideous thing it was. 

These drawings appear pretty darn accurate, as he based them off factory drawings from AirCorps library. Everything I checked was right on.

fm272jt_2.jpg

Jumpei Temma has done several drawings and some spectacular models, but he has either changed his website host or it is down at the moment.

6 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

These drawings appear pretty darn accurate, as he based them off factory drawings from AirCorps library. 

Would be interesting to line up either kit against them, even though the above plans are for an FM-2.

9 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

These drawings appear pretty darn accurate, as he based them off factory drawings from AirCorps library. Everything I checked was right on.

His plans are among the very best ones but not always accurate regarding details (a case in my mind being the Spitfire ones). Nonetheless I agree with your analysis of the Trumpy kit. 

On 3/21/2020 at 6:42 PM, DeanKB said:

Trumpy have come up with the occasional gem, like the Avenger & the Stringbag and, more recently, the B-24 (value wise) & P-61.

Still doesn't quite make up for the likes of HB's Spitfire, Trumpy's P-40B, Stuka, F4F, P-51B, MiG-3 & Corsair. 

Having said that, they've helped develop 1/32 from a backwater to a serious scale with enormous choice, and I've got most of their less vaunted kits anyway. Except the B Mustang. Have to draw a line somewhere.

That Swordfish needs a lot of work to make it really good, but it does form a solid foundation.  Which is enough.....

7 hours ago, Gerhard said:

The Trumpy one is the 1st kit I ever dumped in the trash. It was a disaster. 

giphy.gif

I can only assume you had the initial release, as the revised version (and the subsequent F4F-3 kits) is/are pretty damn good. 

Edited by coogrfan