Trumpy vs. Revell Wildcat

Astro32

I guess the one saving grace of lockdown is having more time. In the process of going through my stash, to organize, prioritize, and eliminate, I came across my thrift store score Trumpy Wildcat and the first issue Revell Wildcat I found recently. Just for grins I lined up the fuselage halves of both and I was quite surprised at the differences! The Trumpy fuselage is about 1/8" shallower, and the vertical fin is shaped quite differently as well. I don't have any profiles to compare them against, but just in comparing against photographs, to me it looks like Revell takes the win, at least from the firewall back. Trumpy's cowl is quite a bit smaller but appears more accurate. Mainly I'm really curious about the differences. Has anyone compared the two?

Good point. I think that over the years Trumpy, while very prolific has come up short across the board. Since I build 1/32, my comments pertain strictly to our scale, and mainly props. Comparisons over the years have pointed to many of the older, original kits being as accurate, or more accurate in shape, outline and geometry. The older kits still build up well, and over the years have seen many fine builds at shows all around the world.

The Revell Wildcat also has stunning boxart.

Trumpy have come up with the occasional gem, like the Avenger & the Stringbag and, more recently, the B-24 (value wise) & P-61.

Still doesn't quite make up for the likes of HB's Spitfire, Trumpy's P-40B, Stuka, F4F, P-51B, MiG-3 & Corsair. 

Having said that, they've helped develop 1/32 from a backwater to a serious scale with enormous choice, and I've got most of their less vaunted kits anyway. Except the B Mustang. Have to draw a line somewhere.

Well, the question is which Trumpeter kit you used as, on one hand, the initial release of the first kit was quite inaccurate and, on another hand, they released three distinct marks. The Wildcat used different cowls and tails. So, this may also explain some differences. I do not remember the results of a similar comparison I made some years ago. My idea to get both kits was to make a d-day Martlet based on the Trumpeter kit with the help of some Revell kit components and decals. 

I have both somewhere - boxes and numbers are identical if I recall correctly...

If you post a photo of the fuselage sprue we'll be able to tell you *very* quickly!

Chances are it's the re-tooled kit - and that is better than the old Revell kit IMHO (I've built both).

Iain

Thanks folks.

Looks like it's the retooled version. The -4 specifically. As I recall, the original bad batch was much more like the prototype than the production versions. I'm still liking the Revell fuselage especially, but again without specific data from accurate plans I'm just guessing. However, it's just curiosity talking! I am amazed at just how good the old Revell kit was, especially for the time. They still build up well.

5 hours ago, Astro32 said:

I guess the one saving grace of lockdown is having more time. In the process of going through my stash, to organize, prioritize, and eliminate, I came across my thrift store score Trumpy Wildcat and the first issue Revell Wildcat I found recently. Just for grins I lined up the fuselage halves of both and I was quite surprised at the differences! The Trumpy fuselage is about 1/8" shallower, and the vertical fin is shaped quite differently as well. I don't have any profiles to compare them against, but just in comparing against photographs, to me it looks like Revell takes the win, at least from the firewall back. Trumpy's cowl is quite a bit smaller but appears more accurate. Mainly I'm really curious about the differences. Has anyone compared the two?

you're in for the "hybrid" attempt ??

1 minute ago, Jack said:

you're in for the "hybrid" attempt ??

I might! The Trumpy's wings and horizontal tail surfaces look better so that may happen. If I can get good intel on dimensions, that may very well be the case.

Diameter of the Revell cowl opening: 1.17" or 29.9mm. Trumpeter: 1.11" or 28.2mm. Close! I wonder if Revell's pattern makers were working from an FM-2 and adjusted things for a -4? Revell's offering looks very like an FM-2 about the cowl area in general shape.