Anyone trying to model with diabetes?

Mark Jackson

Last week my blood sugar measured 27 (normal range 6-7) and so I cut out milk and white bread - it then hit 2.9!!!  Now back to low teens but my eyes cannot focus on anything close up, the modelling is damn difficult when everything is blurred. :frantic:

33 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Your blood sugar was 27!?!?!?  Were you in a coma?  A reading that low isn’t conducive to life.  

He must be using a different unit of measure.  Healthy blood sugar here in the U. S. is under 100.  With medication, mine runs around 130.  I’m not sure what the unit of measure is but I think it’s mg/L or something like that.  

A carb absent ketogenic diet is not necessarily the ideal answer for a type 2 diabetic.  Low carb is good but I’ve heard that the best diet for a type 2 diabetic is a Mediterranean diet.  I try (try being the key word here) to limit my carb intake to 100 grams or less per day and my weight is going down.  Less is obviously better.  Carbs are essential to life. You cannot live without taking in carbohydrates. I’ve heard people died from the Atkins diet which is basically devoid of all carbs.  A low carb diet will eventually throw your body into ketosis but without the danger of a no carb diet.  I experienced some rather unpleasant side effects from eating low carbs.  

Edited by Juggernut

From Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_sugar_level )

Units[edit]

The international standard way of measuring blood glucose levels is in terms of a molar concentration, measured in mmol/L (millimoles per litre; or millimolar, abbreviated mM). In the United States, Germany and other countries mass concentration is measured in mg/dL (milligrams per decilitre).[4]

Since the molecular weight of glucose C6H12O6 is 180, the difference between the two units is a factor of 18, so that 1 mmol/L of glucose is equivalent to 18 mg/dL.[5]

8 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Blood sugar is measured in nanograms per deciliter all over the world.  

Jennings, sometimes you need to be less of a know-it-all.  As goofygoober points out, Blood Glucose is measured differently depending on where you are.

Mark, I'm also a diabetic, also on insulin, and I would highly recommend (if your local NHS will help you) that you get onto a continuous glucose monitor, or CGM.  Dexcom makes one that attaches to your skin, and a fine tube reads interstitial fluid.  It's pretty accurate, and updates its readings every 5 minutes or so.  I've used one for years, and it really helps tighten my control, particularly when used with an insulin pump, which I also have (the Omnipod).

If I can help at all with my experiences, do feel free to ask here or in PMs.

Mark

9 hours ago, Juggernut said:

He must be using a different unit of measure.  Healthy blood sugar here in the U. S. is under 100.  With medication, mine runs around 130.  I’m not sure what the unit of measure is but I think it’s mg/L or something like that.  

Actually, Juggernut, healthy blood glucose varies for everyone, not just diabetics.  It will go lower when you need to eat, and higher after a carb-rich meal.  You can see some discussion here:

https://www.diabetesselfcaring.com/what-is-the-normal-and-diabetic-blood-sugar-levels/

I only mention this because if your high tops out around 130, you're doing brilliantly!  :)

6 hours ago, Mark_C said:

Actually, Juggernut, healthy blood glucose varies for everyone, not just diabetics.  It will go lower when you need to eat, and higher after a carb-rich meal.  You can see some discussion here:

https://www.diabetesselfcaring.com/what-is-the-normal-and-diabetic-blood-sugar-levels/

I only mention this because if your high tops out around 130, you're doing brilliantly!  :)

Yeah, I’m well aware the blood glucose levels fluctuate in everyone. That is why the doctor tells me not to check my glucose within a few hours after eating because that’s when glucose levels are the highest.  I check mine when I wake in the morning (fasting for 8-10hrs).  My levels are around 130 with the metformin.  

I am also diabetic. Before I went on meds, I started having problems with blurry vision. Went to the Doc for some tests. He called later (never a good sign; Docs never call you personally here in my experience with good news) and immediately put me on meds. Once the meds took effect, blood sugar went down and vision cleared. Turns out my fasting blood sugar was around 300 and A1c was 13.1. That is bad.

I am now on an insulin pump with CGM “smart” (semi-smart if you ask me) programming that takes the readings and auto adjusts basal rate taking into account its blood sugar reading and trending, almost like a mechanical pancreas. You still have to take manual readings for bolusing at meal times, though. Doesn’t effect modeling anymore as my vision is ok, except for the fact I am getting old!  
BTW, my lowest blood sugar was 38! And that was one hour after I ate. Sometimes, usually after lunch, instead of it going up it would drop like a rock. Doc thinks my pancreas would wake up every once in a while, effectively double- dosing me with insulin. That was before I had the CGM. I get warned now before it gets that low.

With diabetes, it is definitely all about control.

My pancreas took a cab in 1965 and never came back (type 1 for 55 years)

I have a Dexcom G6 that works quite well and I've lowered my A1C to 6.8 (not bad).

The best thing about a CGM is that it tells you which direction your blood sugar is

going, up or down, so you can correct better (more drugs or more carbs/glucose)

If your glucose is too high , another way to bring it down is to exercise.

On 3/20/2020 at 4:26 PM, Mark Jackson said:

Last week my blood sugar measured 27 (normal range 6-7)

Hi Mark, how long have you been a diabetic ?

On 3/21/2020 at 1:12 AM, goofygoober said:

From Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_sugar_level )

Hey GG ,   :hi:

Just now, Mark_C said:

38?!  Psssshhhh . . . noob! ;)

My lowest recorded was 12.  And I was still conscious.

Yeah - and my father in law was (fortunately) found flat on his back at his allotment one evening due to low blood sugar. If he hadn't been found, he would have died

Richard

Me too, 10 years ago now. I was fit and not a big sugar lover then bang. My mother and Grandmother were Diabetics so perhaps it was a question of when. I’m 50 now but it doesn’t affect my day to day life or modelling.